Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy new or used

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy new or used

I'm looking to trade my 2009 nissan murano in for a newer car. I know when u buy new as soon as you sign the papers it looses value. Can you negotiate a new car price down
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buy new or used

Of course you can. There is a sticky in the auto forum on how to buy/lease a car. 

Good luck!!

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

Yes absolutely, although bear in mind if your trading your really negotiating a combination between new/used car price and trade in.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 3 of 4
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

When I bought my last used vehicle (from a reputable national manufacturer dealer, not a corner lot), the salesmen weren't allowed to negotiate numbers at all, it was all done by the finance manager.  And his starting position was "Used cars are already priced at the lowest possible price so we can move them off the lot quickly."  He absolutely refused to lower the price of the truck, but after I literally got up to leave, suddenly he wanted to take another look at my trade-in, and it magically went up in value 2K.

Key is to stick to your guns.  You havea budget in mind for a maximum monthly payment AND total cost to you (please don't buy purely on payment amount...), and you need to not budge from that maximum.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.