Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy vs. Lease?

tag
electra
Established Contributor

Buy vs. Lease?

Leasing seems somewhat complicated but the payments can be much lower on a lease.     I get that you don't own the car at the end of the lease but how should one decide whether to buy vs. lease?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Buy vs. Lease?

I lease my cars because I get bored quickly and want a new car every 3 years.

Also leasing can be good if you can't afford to buy the car you need.

My Wife needed a Minivan, and the car payment on a 40k Minivan wasn't in the budget. So we leased it to get the payments in our budget.

Message 2 of 18
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

I lease my cars because I get bored quickly and want a new car every 3 years.

Also leasing can be good if you can't afford to buy the car you need.

My Wife needed a Minivan, and the car payment on a 40k Minivan wasn't in the budget. So we leased it to get the payments in our budget.

::Cringe::

I plan on being delusional about my youth forever.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 18
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Not being delusional, our income is well over 100k a year. The lease fits in fine with our budget.

Most likely when the lease is up we will probably just pay off in cash whats owed.

Message 4 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@tooleman694 wrote:

Not being delusional, our income is well over 100k a year. The lease fits in fine with our budget.

Most likely when the lease is up we will probably just pay off in cash whats owed.

I think what he was referring to is that he wants to delude himself into thinking he will never need a minivan... that he will always drive a 2 door sports coupe!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 18
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My next lease will be a 2 door sports car hehe.

Message 6 of 18
electra
Established Contributor

Thanks Tooleman.

LOL, Jutz.  I SWORE I'd never drive a minivan but when my son was a baby my ex got a really great deal on a minivan that I'm STILL driving almost 10 years later....ugh!!  Have to admit that it was VERY practical for olympic baby wrestling/diaper changes and changing him in and out of clothes, carrying little friends around, etc.

Now tho, I am SO ready to have something NOT a minivan!  Smiley Happy 

So, is it harder to qualify for a lease? My FICO isn't great right now but hoping a few more baddies should delete before Feb when I plan to buy or lease and that it will come up a bit.  I assume a lease is something you'd only get through a dealer?  I'm looking at an Audi Q5 or Volvo XC90.     I have a fairly high income (>144k).     Any ideas whether I'd be better off with buy vs. lease based on that?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 18
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Leasing typically requires scores in the upper 600s.

Message 8 of 18
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@tooleman694 wrote:

I think what he was referring to is that he wants to delude himself into thinking he will never need a minivan... that he will always drive a 2 door sports coupe!

Yup, spot on, lol.

For the record I'm currently shopping for a BMW 135i.  A compact sports coupe, haha.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 9 of 18
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Leasing a luxury car is a good way to buy if you can't afford or don't want to pay $700-$1000 per month on a car (like me). Reason why is because the residual value at time of buyout is often less than the price of the identical car on the lot selling used due to lower depreciation, I am considering buying out my lease after 36 months with a low APR on another 36 month term unless I really want something different.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.