Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's Remorse?

tag
OroroMunroe
Contributor

Buyer's Remorse?

Anyone feeling buyer's remorse? I have mixed feelings about my car purchase and my car buying experience. How do you feel? Please share your stories!  

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: Buyer's Remorse?

I may have seller's remorse....lol.

I had a 2006 Dodge Charger for a while. Under 60,000 miles, maintained by me from 20,000 and never a hiccup. I also had no car payment. I traded it toward a $30,000 Camaro SS. I ended up only owing $17,000 ish but at a "not-so-bad" rate of 9.9% through Ally. Instead of refinancing my $420 monthly payment with DCU, I got the $20,000 loan and traded my positive equity Camaro at a HUGE loss to buy a Cadillac CTS. Newer, still had a warranty AND a DCU 4.49% loan with a lower payment. The Camaro got HORRIBLE gas mileage with my upgrades, but I miss that car every day. I lost so much money, I don't even really want to talk about it. I love my Cadillac, but I find that my gas mileage is still terrible because of my short commute, and the whole thing just really wasn't worth it. I have a $350 a month payment and my Charger that I sold to a guy I work with is still running as strong as it was when I sold it to him. My drive to work is (literally) less than 1/2 mile. I am borderline considering selling the car and walking to work. Walmart is right across the street as well.

I have also considered trading this $24,000 vehicle for something that's around $10,000-$15,000. At first, I loved being in my mid 20's with a really nice car, much nicer than that of my peers. My car is nicer than both tiers of management above me, but I am over it. I just want to pick up a reliable vehicle with good gas mileage regardless of how it looks. Now I am all depressed again :/.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
OroroMunroe
Contributor

Thanks for sharing. Charger to Camaro to a Cadillac. Cool cars. I guess the up side to it all is nothing is permanent except a tattoo, and even they can be removed with some pain and work. I digress. What color is your Cadillac? I have a short commute also, so I can relate. Sometimes it makes having a car seem senseless. 

Message 3 of 14
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

My husband had seller's and buyer's remorse last year. He gave up a pristine PAID FOR 2008 Camry SE with less than 55k miles for a 2013 Lexus RX and 5 more years of car payments. His remorse only lasted a few weeks. It has been a year now and I am pretty sure he is glad he made the deal.

Message 4 of 14
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

Hey Team,

My only remorse is when my new car becomes "last years" model, and I am looking at all the cool stuff they add Smiley Happy 3 years left on the note.

Fee

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No buyer's remorse here!  I had a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor with 62,000 miles on it.  Bought it new and planned on it being the last car I would ever buy.  It was nothing but trouble from the beginning.  Thankfully, most of the major problems it had were covered by warranty.  I've hated it for the last 2 years because there was always something wrong with it.   I didn't complain too much because I didn't have a car payment but I just didn't feel like I could rely on it.

Earlier this year, I had a blow-out at 70 mph which destroyed the wheelwell and part of the back bumper.  I was beginning to not feel safe driving it because something just wasn't right with the steering after the blow-out even though I had it checked out.  Maybe it was in my head - I don't know.  On the way to trade it in, the A/C died and wouldn't come back - and it was 98 degrees outside.  Perfect timing in my book.  Granted, I've only had the new car for a week but I'm in love.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can relate to the buyers remorse thing. With my last car purchase I bought a 2005 mustang gt. It runs great and all but is an automatic. With all the credit pulls to get the finances where I wanted them and buying the car just last month there is no way I can get out of my loan with the negetive equity. Or it seems so lol. If I had it to do over I would wait and find me a Mustang GT with a stick shift. ah well. Working on a deal tomorrow but still doubtful, will update my status if it works out lol.

Message 7 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@OroroMunroe wrote:

Anyone feeling buyer's remorse?

Nope.  I've probably had 200 different people tell me how amazing my car looks.  Not that I care what other people think but it's nice to know that you customized your car to the point of perfection.  It turns heads... everywhere I go. 

2015 Dodge Challenger RT 5.7L...  The exterior was refreshed from the previous 2008-2014 models (split rear lights, halo headlights, hood scoops moved forward, etc) and the interior is completely new... it finally matches the car.  Smiley Wink

The coolest option is definitely the BSD.  I'm also a big fan of the touchscreen.

IMG_2255.JPG10924625_596717157126113_5056041852078256106_o.jpgIMG_2359.JPGIMG_2390b.jpg

Fuel mileage?

IMG_2688.JPG

Averages around 18mpg...  but can do 25+ on the highway.  It's nice how it falls back from 8 cyl to 4 cyl.

IMG_2731.JPG

Speed? 

I could have spent another $10k+ to get the SRT or another $30k+ to get the Hellcat... but the RT is plenty fast.

0-60 in 5.3???  What more do you need? 

Smiley Wink

P.S.

What did the car look like when I bought it?

IMG_1965.JPG

Yes, it's the same car.  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 14
sphinx313
Established Contributor

@OroroMunroe Funny you should mention that, as my wife's name is tattooed on my ring finger where a ring would be. Lol! I'm 28, and met my wife when we were 12 in sixth grade. We're celebrating 10 years of marriage on December 6 of this year, no regrets.

My CTS is sweet, but man, I just don't care anymore, lol. My Cadillac is Crystal Red Tintcoat with illegal black tint on every window (including the windshield) and black 20" TSW Brookland rims with Cooper Zeon tires. :/

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
OroroMunroe
Contributor

Beautiful car, TRC! Maybe customizing is the key to happiness with car purchases. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.