Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a Car

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Buying a Car

I was at a dealership last week looking at a certified 2011 Toyota Sienna. The salesman said they don't negotiate the listing price because it's the lowest they can go. The price was actually pretty good, lower than the Nada and KBB value. But aren't all used car prices negotiable? And, no, I did not purchase. I walked.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Buying a Car

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

The salesman said they don't negotiate the listing price because it's the lowest they can go.

He's full of **bleep**. There's no such thing as a non-negotiable price.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 5
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

The salesman said they don't negotiate the listing price because it's the lowest they can go.

He's full of **bleep**. There's no such thing as a non-negotiable price.

There are some dealerships that are a "one price" dealership. I have one near where I live, They say they do it so that it's fair to those who don't like the negotiation process. You will be wasting your breath if you walk into one of these dealerships expecting them to lower the price even a hundred dollars.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 3 of 5
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Its not the lowest they can go but its the lowest they will offer sometimes.  Ive seen both, one dealership I got a 1200 car for 600, the guy did not seem to care about the car it was one of the cheaper on the lot, did the normal BS i need to go and call my boss, pretending to be on the phone when I am sure one of the other 8 employees is one of his bosses.  another time it was like pulling teeth and hagglging over the re-title fees being included to offset no price drop and we ended up from 3800 to 3500.  The guy wanted to haggle(he started it off offering 100 discount if I would buy it), but did not want to go lower than a certain amount. 

Message 4 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

scion is like that, car sense is like that.......there are plenty of companies/dealers that are like that
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.