Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new car =7 HP

tag
Cyberbo60
Valued Member

Buying a new car =7 HP

I bought a new car at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville Indiana and after I bought it I came home and that night I noticed 7 Hard Pulls. This is crazy.. is it normal?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying a new car =7 HP

Was the dealer shopping around for financing for you?
Message 2 of 9
Cyberbo60
Valued Member

Yes that was my screw up. I should have my credit union do but I got a rate of 3.4. Not bad 

@Anonymouswrote:
Was the dealer shopping around for financing for you?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will only impact your score as a single pull. Congrats on the car and good rate
Message 4 of 9
Miner
Frequent Contributor

That is very normal if you let the dealer shop the loan around.  It's not a particularly big deal unless you already had a lot of inquiries and are thinking of doing additional applications in the next year or so.  

I bought a car a few months ago and the dealer shopped it around and pulled 5 times on EX, 1 on TU, and 1 on EQ (stupid Cap 1 and their pull all 3 bureaus policy).  That said, for FICO scoring purposes, if the pulls for an auto loan where within 2 weeks, they will only count as 1 pull on whatever agency they pulled from.  So in my example, The 5 pulls on EX only count as 1 while the 1 on TU and Eq obviously still counts as 1 on those reports. 

The only possible issue is for applying for credit from someone who does their own internal scoring as we have no idea how they handle those multiple auto loan pulls.  They may or may not count them together.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

This is very common.  When I worked at a dealership we would load a deal into whatever system we used (back then it was Reynolds & Reynolds/Dealer World) and within that program was a list of lenders that our dealership used.  It was no extra work to send your deal off several lenders...it was a matter of loading the deal once and clicking the box in which I wanted to send your app.  There were time where I know exactly where I wanted to send the app because I knew I could get favorable terms for the customer as well as myself. 

Then there were times where I did the "select all"  just to see where a person would stick because the deal was going to be one of the harder ones to get done.

Don't sweat it too much...just the way dealerships work.

Message 6 of 9
Cyberbo60
Valued Member

More to this story. They got me financed at 5.6 % but after a week I had already refinanced with my credit union at 2.75%. Now I am happy. 

Message 7 of 9
Washin17
Regular Contributor

Who is your credit union?
Starting Score: 530EQ, 531TU, 514EX (0/2016)
Current Score: 686EQ, 710TU, 686EX (03/2017)
Goal Score: 750+ (01/2018)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Cyberbo60
Valued Member

Solidarity CU

@Washin17wrote:
Who is your credit union?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.