Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC utilization before purchase...

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Re: CC utilization before purchase...

I'm sure they'd correct it at a dealership, but when filling out an app online does it matter who is put down as signer and signer? My wife and i have similar credit except for a few things. I have a small medical collection that's almost paid off, and was the primary on our auto loan that closed on August. the only good thing on hers that's not on mine is an installment account for $1000 from a couple of years ago. Will they automatically fix it so the right person is on top?
Message 11 of 15
EddieK
Established Contributor

@meeklo062704 wrote:
I'm sure they'd correct it at a dealership, but when filling out an app online does it matter who is put down as signer and signer? My wife and i have similar credit except for a few things. I have a small medical collection that's almost paid off, and was the primary on our auto loan that closed on August. the only good thing on hers that's not on mine is an installment account for $1000 from a couple of years ago. Will they automatically fix it so the right person is on top?

Yes, it matters.  The person you list as the applicant needs to be the applicant and the next space for the co-signer needs to be the co-signer, never expect a financial institution to fix something automatically on an application. 

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 12 of 15
meeklo062704
New Contributor

But I'm wondering if the person with stronger credit or a higher score needs to be on top. Does it equal out the same, or does putting the lower score as the applicant change the interest rate or qualification for the loan?
Message 13 of 15
EddieK
Established Contributor

@meeklo062704 wrote:
But I'm wondering if the person with stronger credit or a higher score needs to be on top. Does it equal out the same, or does putting the lower score as the applicant change the interest rate or qualification for the loan?

If both have to be on the application, the co-signer should be the one with stronger credit.  Having a co-signer with bad(not saying in your case, but in general) credit, it defeats having the use of a co-signer.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 14 of 15
meeklo062704
New Contributor

I'm around a 640 best I can tell without purchasing actual fico scores. I'm pretty sure hers will be slightly better as she has the installment account, and doesn't have the small medical collection. Aside from the 4 month old Amazon store card that I can't add her to, all other credit is the same.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.