Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU approved with recent repo!!

tag
StartingOver7
Valued Member

CU approved with recent repo!!

Exactly one year ago GM Financial repo'd my car.  I was a struggling student and had tons of 30 day lates, a few 60s and a 90 until they took it.  I bought another car right away through Credit Acceptance and had to accept a 25% interest rate on a car I hated and promised myself that I was going to do everything I could to make the next year count credit-wise.  I have paid all my creditors on time as well as my car loan and saw my score increase to the mid-600s. 

Now, a year later, I decided to try my luck with a local credit union, thinking it'll be a wasted inquiry, but to my surprise they approved me for $33,000!!  I was able to buy a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited!  My interest rate isn't great (7%) but they told me if I get my scores above 720 they'll refi to a lower rate!  They also pre-approved me for a LOC that I can use however I want.  FYI: I was also approved with Cap 1 but their rate was over 10%.  The deficiency balance for GM Financial remains on my credit at just under $2000 and I plan on paying that off over the next few months.

I've read on here for a long time how awesome credit unions are, and now I can say I agree 100%!! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU approved with recent repo!!

Congrats!! Can I ask what CU you went through?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver7
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!! Can I ask what CU you went through?

Thank you!

It's called Extra Credit Union in Michigan. Too bad their membership criteria is limited to 3 local counties...otherwise I'd recommend them to everyone here.  They were terrific to deal with.

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver7
Valued Member

Oh, and I should also add that I let the dealer pull my credit because the salesman was almost certain I'd qualify for a lease.  I laughed and said sure, go ahead.  Both Ally and Chrysler Capital approved me for a lease (I was shocked), but I didn't care for the payment amounts for a vehicle I'd never own, so I stuck with the purchase.  So for those with a repo, don't give up because there is hope!! 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job!!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's fantastic! Congratulations on your rebuilding efforts!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.