cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU vs Ford Motor Credit, which one do I choose?

tag
boogiesaveslives
Regular Contributor

CU vs Ford Motor Credit, which one do I choose?

Drove off with a CPO 2009 Ford Edge last night.  I was approved through Ford for 8.99% (I was hoping for better).  My CU approved me for 9.74% which is a difference of $7/mo., term 72 months.  I plan on refinancing within the next year.  Question is, I'm leaning towards going with the CU because I'd like to build a better relationship with them, I joined last November.  I have this feeling that the CU just might be a better company overall to work with.  

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks! 

Starting: TU 616 (VS) EQ 598 (FICO) EX 619 (FAKO)
Current: TU 660(FICO) EQ 702 (FICO) EX 716 (FICO)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: CU vs Ford Motor Credit, which one do I choose?

If you think that you will be able to refi soon at a much better rate then I would tend to agree the CU might be a better option. If you are brand loyal to Ford and might be buying another Ford in the future that is a consideration as well.

You could also ask the CU if they will match Ford's rate....
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that's the option, then +1 for the CU. For some reason, FMC has some pretty high rates anyway compared to others. That said, they were always easy enough to deal with.

When I was rate shopping, Chase had the best I was able to get (3.99%), and NMAC beat them by 0.5%. Might be worth checking out if you really want to save some money.

Message 3 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
If you think that you will be able to refi soon at a much better rate then I would tend to agree the CU might be a better option. If you are brand loyal to Ford and might be buying another Ford in the future that is a consideration as well.

You could also ask the CU if they will match Ford's rate....

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

It depends if you like fords I would go with ford motor credit.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 8
RebuildingAgain14
Valued Member

I know this probably seems silly, but have you checked with the CU to make sure they will do a refi?  I only point that out because I had an auto loan w/ my CU in Oregon, and was able to refi without any issues.  A couple of years later, a friend financed a new vehicle through a different local CU.  He was surprised to learn that the CU would not refi its own loan.  Just one consideration.  Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: EQ 542/TU 500/EX 513
Current Scores: EQ 611/TU 611/EX 628
Goal Score: All 700+

Cap One Secured ($750/$701 'unsecured'), Cap One QS1($1000), Victoria's Secret ($250), Brylane Home ($500), Amazon Store Card ($600)
Message 6 of 8
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

Not sure if you can join navy but was just approved for 30k for 2.29% have the check on the counter

Message 7 of 8
TapDancer324
New Contributor

@laurasiew wrote:

Drove off with a CPO 2009 Ford Edge last night.  I was approved through Ford for 8.99% (I was hoping for better).  My CU approved me for 9.74% which is a difference of $7/mo., term 72 months.  I plan on refinancing within the next year.  Question is, I'm leaning towards going with the CU because I'd like to build a better relationship with them, I joined last November.  I have this feeling that the CU just might be a better company overall to work with.  

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks! 

I would go with Ford first, and then look at refinancing later with the CU. Is their FlexBuy program available on CPO vehicles?  If so, that may help too.  Your post caught my eye because I am leaning towards purchasing a Ford Edge too.  I'm just trying to wait a couple of months for a potential score bump from CC payoffs and aged baddies.

Congrats on your new ride... Please let us know what happens.

Starting Score: 534 EQ FICO: 10/11
Current Score: 727 EQ FICO; 717 TU FICO (per Lending Club) As of 6/1/14; ??? EX :
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.