cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I drive the new car home with confidence?

tag
Haleybrook
Established Member

Re: Can I drive the new car home with confidence?

Great news! I received a letter from Wells Fargo Dealer Services today congratulating me on my purchase and providing the account no and address information.  I'm so relieved.  I kept waiting for something to hold it up or for me to be called back to sign with a higher interest rate.  I'm glad it's done.

I'm suddently getting all this credit card offers in the mail saying I'm preapproved.  Where did that come from?

Message 11 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Haleybrook wrote:

Great news! I received a letter from Wells Fargo Dealer Services today congratulating me on my purchase and providing the account no and address information.  I'm so relieved.  I kept waiting for something to hold it up or for me to be called back to sign with a higher interest rate.  I'm glad it's done.

I'm suddently getting all this credit card offers in the mail saying I'm preapproved.  Where did that come from?

Yea! Smiley Happy Now you don't have to worry any more.

It is true, once you get approved for an auto loan then all kinds of people want to issue you a cc. The pre-approval really is just a pre-screening thing.

Message 12 of 15
LadyLeah
Contributor

That happened to me in 2001. I had just moved to a new city, 1000 miles from home all by myself. Didn't know a soul there, no job, no family, no friends.... And my Mitsubishi Eclipse died. I had just put $1500 into the car getting it road ready, new belts, tires, plugs, battery, wiper blades, brake pads, detailing, etc. Two weeks after my move, the computer died. It would cost $1600 to fix it, and the car was 10 yrs old and had a zillion miles. I went to a dealer and traded it in for a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage with 4 miles. I was young, single, and completely ignorant about car stuff. I was financed at 8% and had a 60 mo term. I don't remember what the payment was, but it was $200-something.

About a week later, I got a call from the dealer telling me I had to come sign some more paperwork. My payment went up to $320 and had a 72 mo term. I was LIVID, but felt like I had no choice. I signed and kept the car for a little over a year before doing a voluntary repo. I was so resentful and just hated the car. I knew I had been taken and it made me angry every time I put the key in the ignition. It has long since fallen off my credit report but I still feel hurt when I think about it.

I'm glad yours worked out! Congrats on your new car!

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

This happened to me probably four or five times - hell, I think every time I ever got a car, it has.

To be honest, the dealer we go to, we always use, and it always works out in our favor in the end either with a lower payment, rate or payment term, but, yeah, it's normal, I guess..

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 14 of 15
Justine_Alpha
Valued Member

I went car shopping on a Saturday and let them run financing and they came back and were trying to tell me I could drive off that day but I said I wanted to wait till banks opened Monday. They kept insisting and I said I didn't want it to fall through since it was chase and I burned them 6 years ago. I go in Monday and they say chase put conditions on it but they had another lender for .2% higher. Don't buy on a saturday. Love my 2014 impala ;-)

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.