Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a car loan

tag
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I get a car loan

Okay, if your local CU won't work no worries. I'd maybe start with DCU when the time comes. If DCU doesn't work or they give you a high rate, another good one to try is Hughes FCU given that this is your first auto loan. They only need a 580+ FICO so you should be good. But Hughes requires a 15% down payment AND 12 months with your current employer. If you can't meet both of those conditions, don't bother with Hughes imo. If DCU and Hughes don't work, perhaps you could try Cap One or BofA. I really do think you'll be okay...also a dealer can definitely get you financed. Just don't accept more than 7-8% from a dealer really.

Message 11 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

I see going to the credit union might be a bad idea.

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 12 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Might have to try the used car dealers. Once I have a downpayment, and my credit has age a year, when do your credit inquiries start droping off?

Message 13 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

I been on my job a little over a year.

Message 14 of 29
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@CJIII29 wrote:

Might have to try the used car dealers. Once I have a downpayment, and my credit has age a year, when do your credit inquiries start droping off?

Inq stop hurting your score after a year, they actually fall off your CRA's after two years. Hope this helps!

Message 15 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Ok, so will I have a better change at the dealer next year?

Message 16 of 29
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Honestly INQs don't hurt that much in the first place. Rarely are they the difference between approval and denial. Heck in 6 months their hit on your FICO starts to wear off.

You should have no problem at a car dealer imo as long as your stated income is above $1.5k/month gross. But be careful: they'll try to jack your rate up...you shouldn't be higher than 7% imo.

I always recommend people at least try CUs (doesn't have to be your local one) to help prevent  dealer rate jacking. Why do you believe that a CU would be a bad idea anyways? And I mean the likes of DCU which in the past has given people with short profiles a loan or Hughes which explicitly has a first buyer program (assuming employment w/ current employer is 1+ years and yu have a 15% dp for hughes)?

Also if you go directly to a dealer fine. But at least go into a place like carmax or a bigger franchised (like one who sells new cars of a major US manufacturer a la Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc). Don't go to those corner lots that advertise "We Finance Everyone" aka a buy here pay here car dealer. Those guys typically sell you cars at 2x their value @ 20%+ interest!

Message 17 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Ya I try my credit union because thats who I bank with. Oh by the way I was approved for a $2000 limit unsecured Best Buy Credit Card.

Message 18 of 29
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Honestly doesn't have to be your CU. You could very well try others, definitely worth it. DCU for example would probably be a good fit for your profile as long as you didn't want more than a 15k approval. Hughes would also be good if you met the employment and down payment requirements they have.

Congrats on the approval by the way! Since you have 3 tradelines now, that's a good thing. Work on making sure payments go in on time. And keep util less than 10%!

Message 19 of 29
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Thought about charging a printer on my best buy card, and paying it off in 6 months to avoid the instert.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.