Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I qualify for amount I want?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I qualify for amount I want?

I've been readin the myFico forums and have learned a lot. I've already asked a lot of questions. 

I'm car searching and hopeing ot buy in April.  I was all set on a brand new car but now I'm wondering if I'll be approved for that much?

I make 24k/year before taxes.  But my job provides my apartment, utilities, cable, internet. etc... After I pay for my gym membership, cell phone, and student loans I have about 1200 left over so I can easily get a 20k car.  I'm just wondering if I can even get approved for that amount since it's close to my salary?

If I can't, what are my chances for a 15-17k used car?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Can I qualify for amount I want?

We will need more information. What are your current FICO scores, how long on your job, any past car loans, any delinquencies, etc.

Based off the limited information so far, I believe it may be difficult to land a car loan for $20,000, when you only make $24,000 a year. With only $2k a month gross, your ratios would be pretty high. A $20,000 car @ 5% for 4 years is right at $500.00 a month if you have nothing to put down. Thats 25% of your monthly income.

My concern would be, what if you lost your job and had to start paying for lodging and utilities...

Looking forward to more details.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

1- if your job is with the US military I recommend becoming a member of Navy Federal Credit Union where you will probably be able to get financing. If youhave any family members in the US military I would recommend you asking them to sponsor you.

2- if your job is so "sweet" and you have so much cash left over each month you should be able to come up with a 3-4 thousand dollar downpayment, this will help yo cause in 2 ways: lowering your eventual monthly payment and help make the loan more attractive to finance.

3-jobs that as a factor of employment give out housing do inhibit financing as banks lok for "income"

not perks.

I do not think you are hopeless, but do think that for a 20K car you need to expect a 23K transaction, so it would be best if you could put down about 3-4k At that point at 5 years yo uwould have a payment below $400.

It also sounds to me that you do not have much credit experience in you file so this would help you secure a loan anyway

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, usmc.  You've answered several of my questions over the last couple of months.  

I took the plunge today.  I got a brand new 2010 Corolla for 0% financing.  I got $1000 (kbb is about $500) on my trade and after rebates I didn't have to put down any money although I was prepared to put down about $2k.   I think they were just ready to get the 2010 off the lot since the 2011's arrived about a month ago.  

Thanks for all the help.  It's good to have people like you with wisdom handing out honest advice.  

Message 4 of 6
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Congratulations!!!  And asking as many questions is absolutely fine because you were prepared to make a major purchase, not just applying for any old credit, but a major purchase so you want to be ask edu-mo-cated as possible.  Also, you received great feedback -- excellent!!!

It means nothing now, but I was going to add... don't compare a $20k car to your $24k/year salary unless you're financing for 1-year (hahaha).  Normal financing stretch an average of 36 months.

But, you did it!!!  Congrats!!!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice, usmc.  You've answered several of my questions over the last couple of months.  

I took the plunge today.  I got a brand new 2010 Corolla for 0% financing.  I got $1000 (kbb is about $500) on my trade and after rebates I didn't have to put down any money although I was prepared to put down about $2k.   I think they were just ready to get the 2010 off the lot since the 2011's arrived about a month ago.  

Thanks for all the help.  It's good to have people like you with wisdom handing out honest advice.  

Congrats!

i would have put some of the money you wanted to down, as that would lower your monthly payment (you never know where you will be 3 years from now) and would have helped with your negative equity. I would recommend calling the dealership and seeing how much it would cost to purchase GAP coverage and see if you can pay that seperately- you really may wish to consider GAP.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.