cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Someone buy a car under my name without me being there?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Someone buy a car under my name without me being there?

Hi guys! So I’m not gonna lie, I’m new to all this stuff so please hear/help me out.

This is going to be my first car purchase. I had around 5K saved and am looking to get a sub 15K car. At this point I have one of those fake 740ish credit scores (no real big purchases but 4 different credit cards) and I’m only 19. Nothing negative thus far, and I’ve been building since the day I was 18.

Now my problem at hand, I’m currently in training for the Army in Georgia but there just really aren’t any good deals here. I’m from Texas originally and see a few options but I just picked up additional schooling, so it won’t be months till I get a chance to go back home. I’ll be able to have a car and in a few weeks, and would found it much easier if I could have one around. At this point I’ve been pre approved from Cap1 @ 4.5% and will check the rate with Navy Fed before I actually buy.

So my question is, is there anyway my name can be on the car loan, but I get one of my parents or sibilings to go to the dealership and buy the car without me being there? Is there anything I can do to make them eligible to sign for me or something I can do to sign from a few states away? Will power of attorney do anything here?

I’ve thought about maybe co-signing, but my parents credit is trash and both my siblings just took out new car loans so I don’t know how that will hold over.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can Someone buy a car under my name without me being there?

ATB as a former military man that was shuffled all around the US and Overseas I saw that owning a vehicle was challenging. Different posts had different restrictions and rules for private vehicles and often made it tough for the lower ranked enlisted members. You may want to take a look at this matter to ensure you don't end up getting sent somewhere and you have a vehicle to deal with.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your question, I can almost say without a doubt that you will have to be present and sign the paper's for the car. Most captive lender's, and I would assume most banks/CU's won't even allow someone with power of attorney to sign contract's on someone's behalf for a vehicle.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Dinosaur, with that being said though you could look at vehicles on ebay or places like Vroom or Carvana. They process all off the paperwork for you and drop the car off at whatever address you want, assuming you could just put your parent's or sibling's address then it's there for you when you need it.  

Message 4 of 5
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Hi guys! So I’m not gonna lie, I’m new to all this stuff so please hear/help me out.

This is going to be my first car purchase. I had around 5K saved and am looking to get a sub 15K car. At this point I have one of those fake 740ish credit scores (no real big purchases but 4 different credit cards) and I’m only 19. Nothing negative thus far, and I’ve been building since the day I was 18.

@Now my problem at hand, I’m currently in training for the Army in Georgia but there just really aren’t any good deals here. I’m from Texas originally and see a few options but I just picked up additional schooling, so it won’t be months till I get a chance to go back home. I’ll be able to have a car and in a few weeks, and would found it much easier if I could have one around. At this point I’ve been pre approved from Cap1 @ 4.5% and will check the rate with Navy Fed before I actually buy.

So my question is, is there anyway my name can be on the car loan, but I get one of my parents or sibilings to go to the dealership and buy the car without me being there? Is there anything I can do to make them eligible to sign for me or something I can do to sign from a few states away? Will power of attorney do anything here?

I’ve thought about maybe co-signing, but my parents credit is trash and both my siblings just took out new car loans so I don’t know how that will hold over.

Without them being a co-signer on the vehicle, I don't see it happening. From the dealership's perspective, this person could walk off with the car, and you could simply say that you didn't authorize anything, causing a mess a trouble for them.

For my first car loan (American Honda Financial Services), the dealership fedex'd documents to my parent's house 1200 miles away for them to sign. This was back in 2007. so I'm not sure what the regualtions are now. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.