cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a car dealership run my credit report then tell me they didn't?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a car dealership run my credit report then tell me they didn't?

I wanted to apply for an auto loan through a dealership and completed the form to allow them to run my credit. They told me they did NOT run the credit check because they "didn't want to hurt my credit score unnecessarily" and that they would run the check after I found a vehicle I was interested in actually purchasing. I didn't find any vehicle that I wanted to buy, so I left and didn't think much about the credit check as they said they didn't run it.

When I was reviewing my credit report recently, it turns out they DID run the credit check that particular day, which dinged my credit score a few points. I'm a little less concerned about the few points that dropped and more concerned with the fact they said they did not run the credit check. 

My question is, although they had permission to run the check, is it "legal" for them to lie and say they didn't? If they aren't allowed to lie about it, what remedies do I have, if any, other than to complain?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a car dealership run my credit report then tell me they didn't?

I'm not a credit guru nor a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure once you sign the credit app that grants them permission to run your credit. And, although lying is frowned upon, pretty sure unless they have been sworn in under some legal procedure like in court or giving a deposition, telling a lie isn't going to do anything but damage your opinion of them. Bottom line, never sign a credit app at a dealership unless you're onboard with them running it through.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

they shouldn't have lied but you gave them written authorization. dealerships are notorious for lying in words and making you sign the opposite. "yes we will give you free oil changes for life" then you sign the "nothing promised nothing owed" form that says rather an agreement was said or understood they aren't responsible unless it's on paper. pretty crappy but that's life
Message 3 of 9
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
they shouldn't have lied but you gave them written authorization. dealerships are notorious for lying in words and making you sign the opposite. "yes we will give you free oil changes for life" then you sign the "nothing promised nothing owed" form that says rather an agreement was said or understood they aren't responsible unless it's on paper. pretty crappy but that's life

Exactly what happened when I bought my motorcycle.  They said free oil changes for life and when I came in a year later they looked at me like I was crazy.  i have to take it there for service but I'll never buy any thing from them again. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

they'll say anything to get you to buy. after that they don't care
Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

^^True. But it is easy enough to write your changes on the paperwork and date and initial each change.

You will hear static from the F&I guy, but nothing prevents you from changing the agreement before you sign it. Handwritten changes over ride pre-printed and typed in wording Smiley Happy This works for all contracts. Its a written counter offer. Make sure you don't fall for the "we will mail it to you" trick. Walk out with a copy. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be an option to dispute the inquiry on my CR explaining what happened? Even if I get nothing out of it, at least it gets brought to the attention of the dealership that I'm not going to let it slide. Or reporting them to the FTC, CFPB, or the BBB?

Obviously the resolution I want is to have it removed from my CR, if that's even possible. Nonetheless, it would be equally as satisifying to throw them to the government wolves, even if they just get "a talkin' to" in the end. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

I purchased a 2012 Toyota Tacoma yesterday from the Toyota dealership and the salesman told me it had a limited lifetime powertrain warranty on the truck. He just wrote it on the paper and he signed it and I signed it as well. I'm assuming that he didn't lie about that. He also told me I would have free oil changes for the first year.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can try but you probably won't get it removed unfortunately
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.