cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can lenders at car dealers run hard pulls on all 3 bureaus..well Yes they can, but is it normal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can lenders at car dealers run hard pulls on all 3 bureaus..well Yes they can, but is it normal?

I just went to a Chevrolet dealership, just to look. I was of course talked into running my credit for something I knew I couldn't afford. They ran hard pull on all 3 credit bureaus and showed me the scores which were significantly lower than I was aware of. And, I had just received a score in the mail from one credit card bureau that was 60 points different.  It was a strange experience. All the cars that were on the internet were not available to be seen and the sales person was running around searching for the keys. Even searched her pockets like she had been giving test drives all day. Then even searched all the drawers in her desk. I found it hard to believe that the keys would be in her desk drawer when there were 20 desks at least and there were 100's of cars on the lot so everyone is just throwing keys around everywhere to where everyone is checking pockets and drawers like they are at home. Then she decided the care was in the shop getting inspected.....So I popped back in the next day. The car was still in the shop getting inspected. And, of course the shop is locked and no one has the key. Then she text me and said her buyer would be out looking for a car I could afford this week. But, I said I thouht you had one in the shop getting inspected. She said, oh you want to see that one....Wierd No I just made two trips to help you find the keys...YES, I wanted to see that one. So, after being there for 3 hours the only car I could see was 1 card that I could not afford. And, I was told by her mangager that FRANKLY, I could not afford it and my payment was going to be $1200. But, I didn't want that car anyway. I wanted to see the mysterious missing other 4 cars that. Sorry, The point is they pulled my credit 3 times and my husbands who was not even there. And, one of his scores was 698 but they told me it was meaningless. Such a wierd experience. I have never had a lender pull all 3. And, they are still calling me. Oh, probably becasue I have $5000 to put down. I forgot to tell them that in the begining Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Can lenders at car dealers run hard pulls on all 3 bureaus..well Yes they can, but is it normal?

Hello, welcome to the forums.

There are horror stories of people getting 20 inquiries from a single car purchase. The good news is car purchase inquiries get grouped together, so they only count as one per credit reporting agency.

As for why your scores are lower. You could be looking at Fico8 scores, and the inquiries might have been pulling other versions of FICO.  Alternatively your scores might be coming from CreditKarma, or similar sites. These sites provide Vantage scores not FICO scores, so that can cause differences.

The missing keys does sound strange. I think you are better off looking at different dealerships. Also if you prequalify with a car buying service such as Capital One's car loans, you will only need to worry about 1 inquiry, as you will provide your own financing.

I believe with Cap1 you will also be guarranteed the price shown online, and that the dealers will actually have the car shown in stock.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.