cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you apply for an Auto loan the same day / next day after discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you apply for an Auto loan the same day / next day after discharge?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Capitol One auto loans for post ch7 people like myself. 

Here's the issue / questions...

My attorney told me that I wouldn't actually get my discharge paperwork until 2-3 weeks later.  FYI. my official date of discharge is May 19th. My attorney also told me that it probably won't actually show on my credit score that day, and could take anywhere from days, to weeks.

I was already an idiot and ran my credit at a dealership like 3 weeks ago, under the assumption that the court hearing I had attended marked the end (discharge), when it turned out I was actually still in the wait period leading up to discharge. So obviously I was denied with the same response. -so now I'm un-easy about having this happen again to me. 

what I mean, is that how am I supposed to know when to apply for an auto loan with all these people telling me there's no guarantee of anything, and no specific date on when I'll actually have paperwork in-hand, which I presume you'll need for many lenders to see prior to getting an auto loan.

I'll need a car soon. For MANY reasons that I will not get into, I'm not confortable driving the lease I am rejecting as part of the ch7. Needless to say, it'll be turned in to whomever contacts me to get it, and I'll be without a car when this happens. This means it is in my best interest to prepare so I don't miss work, or end up causing problems for my family if I am suddenly without a car. Plus I'm just plain sick of this waiting. I hate shopping for cars, and I just want to get it over with. Makes me sick to be wondering what my apr and all the details will be. I don't know whether I'll have to wait weeks after May 19th, or whether I'll be able to apply the same day as discharge. How the hell do lenders know it's been discharged if I don't have paperwork, and it doesn't show up on my credit record that day? - or even the same month!?

I need info on this kind of stuff. in summary. is it ok to apply for the capoitol one auto loan (just an example) on the same day as my discharge? 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you apply for an Auto loan the same day / next day after discharge?

And then it was answered for me. this link explain why there's people on these forums reporting they were able to get very respectable post ch 7 loans on the same day of discharge.  Looks like it has everything to do with the way some lenders access information / vs old snail mail methods. In other words, it looks as though capitol one and those specialty lenders will have the ability to see that your ch7 is discharged and completed the day (hopefully the same day) it is filed electronically in the court system. 

http://www.consumerhelpcentral.com/bankruptcydischarge/

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.