Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 proof of Residence requirement

tag
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 proof of Residence requirement

Since Capital1 overs a soft pull car loan pre-approval, I applied at the begnning of the week to use it as an indication of what I can expect before applying places that will do a hard pull.

Things went better than I expected as they showed I get could 5.29%. I did have to call in and verify some things. When I was told to upload something to prove my residence address, the guy told me that yes a financial statement would work. So I uploaded my most recent bank statement that shows my name and address. Following day got a email to call them. Phone automated system said I still needed to provide a proof of residency. So I uploaded my cell phone bill which shows address and name. Nope. Same thing next day. Finally figured out how to talk to a person, and they said I still need to provide something. Apparently nothing I provided them including CC statements was good enough. It now had to be a utility bill and a cell phone didn't qualify. The only traditional utility we have is electricity which is in a roommates name; water paid by complex, we don't really watch TV and with unlimited data on our phones for internet so we got rid of our cable. I explained that and was told, they wouldn't be able to proceed with an offer if I couldn't provide something. So we are at in impass. I feel frustrated because I don't think my situation is that unusual today and they previously told me that financial statement would be fine.

So my question is, am I going to have the same problem with other lenders? No point in doing a hard pull until I figure this out. I'd hate to have to sign up for cable just to get a loan. The only thing I didn't try was my car registration renewed in May and my car insurance bill. Perhaps my monthly storage unit bill?
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 proof of Residence requirement

well thats pretty rediculous.. theyve sent me a million car loan things and i always throw them away! good thing!

Message 2 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

Is your name on the lease/mortgage? If yes. A lease/mortgage counts. If no, a letter from the lease/mortgage holder counts.

Is your drivers license current? government IDs count for proof of residence

Are you registered to vote? your voter card counts.

Have you paid any taxes at this location? Any letter addressed to you from any branch of government counts.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't have that problem with other lenders as the proof you provided is sufficient.  However, have you spoken to a supervisor at Capital One to get clarification as to why these proofs you have provided aren't enough?  If I were in your shoes, I'd do that before going with a new lender and a new hardpull.

Message 4 of 6
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the replies.  I bought a vehcile yesterday and was financed by the dealer through Chase for a similar rate, and did not have to provide ANY documentation at all.   So I don't get Cap1's issue, but won't be following it up with them.  Maybe they still resent me for the Credit Card Charge Off that I waited almost 6 years before paying it off a few months ago (11 months till it falls off).  I was just happy that they at least would consider loaning to me again.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Miner wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  I bought a vehcile yesterday and was financed by the dealer through Chase for a similar rate, and did not have to provide ANY documentation at all.   So I don't get Cap1's issue, but won't be following it up with them.  Maybe they still resent me for the Credit Card Charge Off that I waited almost 6 years before paying it off a few months ago (11 months till it falls off).  I was just happy that they at least would consider loaning to me again.

Congrats on your new set of wheels!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.