Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 vs others... How do they compare?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 vs others... How do they compare?

Let me start off by saying my credit isn't wonderful, hah. My financial picture has gotten very rosy since I filed bk 5+ years ago, unfortunately, since it was a Ch 13, I couldn't rebuild until a few weeks ago. So while my income is A++++++++, my credit is sorely lagging behind.  I'm in the market for a new, expensive car that I probably don't need, but like most people, I want something nice after having to struggle through a barren wasteland of crap and misery the past 7 years to reward myself. I can easily afford it now, and I've already lectured myself that I don't need it, but want it, and I'm okay with it for now. I plan to have it paid off in 3 years or less.

So the car I'm looking at is about $65k. I'll have $20k available to put down when I get ready to buy, in addition to about $5k for my trade in. I was preapproved by Cap1 at a decent rate range (3.72%-9.52%), but their financing caps out at $40k. I suppose I can save up another couple thou to pay TTL, but maybe I'd just rather roll it into the loan. I'd be over the limit for Cap1, but my question is, how do their approvals compare to what other people have gotten from other lenders? If I go with a different lender, am I dooming myself to a pit of HPs just to get like a 15% interest rate, or might I be able to get something closer to what Cap1 is offering? I was honestly shocked by the low rate Cap1 offered me considering how ugly my credit is, so I should probably not look the gift horse in the mouth and stick with them for financing... But I'd also maybe like the option of not having to fork over $20k if I don't have to.

Either way, I'm planning to refi with my CU in ~6 months, so I suppose in the long run it really doesn't matter, just curious if Cap1 prequal rates are any indiciator of what you might be able to get elsewhere.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 vs others... How do they compare?

Not sure how helpful I am being here but I just got preapproved with Cap 1 as well, with vrey similar rates. Ran a preapproval credit check with DCU (not a current member which I'm not sure if it really matters considering the discount is just 0.5% if I get direct deposit) and the rate I got from them was higher than the highest APR Cap 1 approved me for :/

I'm sticking to Cap 1 Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be interested to hear as well. I was preapproved with Cap 1 but don't plan to purchase untl April which means I'll probably have to do another pre-approval. I want to know if I should stick  with Cap 1 or see if the dealer will give me an even lower rate. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The interest rate vary on cap one loan cause it depends on amount ur borrowing and loan term. You should rethink about a 40000k loan at 10% interest alone is almost 350 a month. U will be looking at almost 1200 a month. Not sure about ur credit score and income and which car u want to get or if car is a must if so u can try going into dealership and see what they can do for u or rebuild ur credit and get car 6-12 months later. Also if ur credit is really that **bleep**ty right now don't think u can refi the vehicle with ur credit union in 6 months time realistically looking at more of 12-18 months. I know cause I went thru a rebuild. Started March of 2014 got my first 200 CL card with capital one. Now I have close to 30000 CL with them. Also had a car loan with them at like 14% but whole loan was only 19000. Just had it refi thru another company at like 8% not the best but it's for helping me to rebuild credit and now after almost a year I can walk into a BMW dealership and finance a BMW M4 for 95000 at 4.2% for full amount. My income is 180k a year last year I made 240k after bonus

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.