Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Auto Finance Logistics Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Auto Finance Logistics Question

Hello. I am looking into buying a new car, within the next couple of months. after some mistakes and bad judgement several years ago, my husband and I have been working hard to rebuild our credit, and are now at 630 and 680. 

Since I don't know for sure that we would be accepted by just any auto financing company, I would rather have an approved loan in hand when we go to the dealership. I have been looking into Capital One Auto. 

They do not have the Blank Check program any more. Now, you get your pre-approval online, then take your award letter to the dealer. The site says that you then fill out a dealer credit application to complete the financing. 

Has anyone done this? The scenario that comes to my mind is that Cap 1 will approve us, we will walk in confidently, pick out our perfect car, only to be laughed at by the financing office, while they lay out all the reasons why we don't meet their requirements. This is precicely why I want to be approved before going in...I have some anxiety about asking for approval in person. 

Would an approval award letter be the final say? Or do you think that filling out this "dealer credit application" could then deny us later? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Auto Finance Logistics Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I am looking into buying a new car, within the next couple of months. after some mistakes and bad judgement several years ago, my husband and I have been working hard to rebuild our credit, and are now at 630 and 680. 

Since I don't know for sure that we would be accepted by just any auto financing company, I would rather have an approved loan in hand when we go to the dealership. I have been looking into Capital One Auto. 

They do not have the Blank Check program any more. Now, you get your pre-approval online, then take your award letter to the dealer. The site says that you then fill out a dealer credit application to complete the financing. 

Has anyone done this? The scenario that comes to my mind is that Cap 1 will approve us, we will walk in confidently, pick out our perfect car, only to be laughed at by the financing office, while they lay out all the reasons why we don't meet their requirements. This is precicely why I want to be approved before going in...I have some anxiety about asking for approval in person. 

Would an approval award letter be the final say? Or do you think that filling out this "dealer credit application" could then deny us later? 

Thanks! 

I haven't had experience with their new auto finance process. From what I can tell, the award letter is usually a conditional approval. Which means, you're approved so long as you have paperwork to back up info on your application (such as proof of income), and that the car meets collateral restrictions (not too old, not too many miles, and LTV is within acceptable range). You should probably contact cap one directly to confirm if nobody replies.

In my opinion, Cap One forcing you to apply with the dealer's finance office is nonsense. Although you might want to, I would not want to be forced to. I would suggest you trying several credit unions. When I purchased my car, I applied at cap one, other big banks, credit unions, and the captive lender (honda finance). Cap one came in at like 8-9%, honda came in with like 3.9%, and the credit union initially 5%+ dropped theirs to 3.85% to beat the dealer and then offered auto pay rate discounts so I ended with 3.4%. My main point is that cap one finance, although can be easier to be approved was a lot higher in rate. Almost 3 times higher! At least this was my experience. For reference, my scores were around 660, low DTI, and I had previously had an auto loan on my reports.

Message 2 of 3
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Auto Finance Logistics Question

I recently joined DCU and took out an auto loan with them at 1.49% (requires relationship banking, which is not hard - 1.99% without the relatuionship) - very easy process and I was told that a 675 FICO score is all that is needed for their best rates. You can apply for an auto loan through DCU whithout actually joining the credit union until you get approved. 

I have been "pre-approved" (blank check program) for the last 3 cars I purchased and in every case dealer sourced financing Ally/PNC/etc have beat the Cap-1 rate. I did not bother to pre-approve through Cap-1 this time because they were not going to beat the 1.49%.

There are other "major" credit unions that offer similar services, such as Nany or PenFed, but the trick is go with a big CU not a small local one - you can google the 50 largest CU's online, most allow almost anyone to join - some require a nominal fee. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.