Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captial One "Blank Check" Auto Loan Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Captial One "Blank Check" Auto Loan Question

Hi All,

I've been lurking around these forums and found alot of insightful information. I just have a couple of questions about the CO "Blank Check" Program.

Here some basic info:

Last CS was retrieved today from Experian: (591)

Although I am making every effort to raise my score, I thought I would take a shot at a CO used auto loan. To my surprise I was appoved for up to $15,600.

Since I am new to this party, I have a question.

While I haven't received my packet yet from CO, let's assume the LTV is 110%

The car I am eyeing is around $12,754 with a NADA value of around $10400, which would indicate the maximum I could write the check is for $11440.

Now with that final number ($11440), does the tax, fees, etc have to be part of that number? or are they added to the total amount and covered as long as it doesn't exceed $15,600?

I am very confused with this...any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Captial One "Blank Check" Auto Loan Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I've been lurking around these forums and found alot of insightful information. I just have a couple of questions about the CO "Blank Check" Program.

Here some basic info:

Last CS was retrieved today from Experian: (591)

Although I am making every effort to raise my score, I thought I would take a shot at a CO used auto loan. To my surprise I was appoved for up to $15,600.

Since I am new to this party, I have a question.

While I haven't received my packet yet from CO, let's assume the LTV is 110%

The car I am eyeing is around $12,754 with a NADA value of around $10400, which would indicate the maximum I could write the check is for $11440.

Now with that final number ($11440), does the tax, fees, etc have to be part of that number? or are they added to the total amount and covered as long as it doesn't exceed $15,600?

I am very confused with this...any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

With your score I wouldn't count on much higher than 80-90% LTV

Average tax/fee/dox is about 8-9% of cost of purchase depending on state.

Let's go with 9% for argument's sake and go with NADA value as LTV base.

$10,400 + $936 = $11,336

$9,067 would be 80%

$10,202 would be 90%

Your price is $12,754

Now add 8-9% to that, or $1,020 to $1,148

Now we're at $13,774 to $13,902

You would need between $3,572 to $4,835 down to make the cut in this situation.

Please update on what LTV you qualify for. And remember you can always negotiate the price of the car.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Recheck the post. I just revised my numbers after checking your post again..

Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Hope the OP, MisterSynister, doesn't mind my jumping in here, but I searched and other "Blank Check auto loan" threads are nearly a year old. I see on Cap One' site that their blank check program only works at specific dealers. Is there any blank check auto loan that can be used to purchase a car from a private party? I'm lookng for a specific used car - either Toyota Yaris or Nissan Versa 3-4 years old, really don't care, my #1 priority is under 40k miles, preferable around 30k. I use AutoTrader.com and private party listings come up often in the Tucson area. Or, instead a "blank check" program would I be better off to get pre-approved at a CU or bank, and then if a private party seller & I reach a deal, get him to come to the CU/bank to get his check & they notarize his sign off on the title?  And how much down payment should expect to have to put down on a loan of say $8k. My current SUV is worth probably around $3500 in trade, but I want to keep it - bought it new in 2003 & really like it, but it only gets 16-17mpg so I want to keep it for limited use & get a 30+mpg car for primary use.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just got my loan packet and was approved for 110% LTV. I believe it had to do with my weekly income.

Message 6 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Smiley Happy

And I got my answer by calling my CU - they loan up to 100% of KBB (Kelly Blue Book) retail value and can pre-approve me & a vehicle, so I go that route instead a blank check. Hertz sells 2014/2013 models under KBB retail because they have 20-30k miles on them, so I'll have to come up with a lower down payment that way.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.