Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Dealership Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car Dealership Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

I purchased a car from an auto dealer back in July 2012 on a two year loan. I paid the loan off in full in March 2014. In August 2014 they pulled a hard inquiry from Experian. Upon researching my Experian report I noticed there was a comment on the inquiry that said: "Auto loan. This inquiry is schedule to continue on record until Sep 2016."

I am hoping someone here has experience with this. Why would a delaer pull a hard inquiry on my report after the loan is paid off? I have not been back to the dealer nor am I shopping for another car with them. I have tried calling their finance department and left a voicemail but so far nobody has called me back. What should I do? I don't want this inquiry sitting on my report for two years when I didn't authorize it.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car Dealership Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

As a new car dealer I can tell you that a dealer cannot HP or SP your credit without your written/electronic approval.  All of our credit bureau management systems only keep a customers information for 30 days.  My concern would be identity fraud.  Do not wait, call the dealer and get an answer as to why an employee pulled your credit and demand to see proof that you authorized the HP

@Anonymous wrote:

I purchased a car from an auto dealer back in July 2012 on a two year loan. I paid the loan off in full in March 2014. In August 2014 they pulled a hard inquiry from Experian. Upon researching my Experian report I noticed there was a comment on the inquiry that said: "Auto loan. This inquiry is schedule to continue on record until Sep 2016."

I am hoping someone here has experience with this. Why would a delaer pull a hard inquiry on my report after the loan is paid off? I have not been back to the dealer nor am I shopping for another car with them. I have tried calling their finance department and left a voicemail but so far nobody has called me back. What should I do? I don't want this inquiry sitting on my report for two years when I didn't authorize it.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 5
fury1995
Valued Contributor

I agree with nccarguy.. most dealers would have filed your deal jacket away long ago in archives so no one should even have access to your old application. I would seek an answer now to the application and if someone was trying to buy a car inder your name and forgo the inquiry dispute for now...

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 3 of 5
jim44
Established Contributor

NC is correct the dealership does need authorization to pull your CR.  I don't know the state of where the dealer is located but I'm sure the dealer is required to keep your file for up to 5-7 years per state law. Your original signed authorization should be in your file. You may want to call the title/accounting office which will store your file as they should be able to tell you which employee pulled your CR the 2nd time.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am having a difficult time getting ahold of the finance manager but will post an update when I do.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.