Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Loan w/ Large Negative equity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car Loan w/ Large Negative equity

Without going into extreme detail as to why I need another car I do need advice. I currently have 2 active auto loans in my name and an additional auto loan I cosigned on. I am able to make payments but the issue is that one of the cars thats only in my name needs to be traded in. I owe 15k of the original 29k loan. I'm extremely upside down because I put no down payment and wrapped everything into my loan (gap, tax, title, fees, etc). The car at best is worth 4-5k now. I have a standing preapprovals from 2 banks, but my concern is finding a vehicle I can potentially roll 8-10k in negative equity. Does anyone know of any good deals, rebates, incentives, etc and what vehicles would be best? I'm willing to take a 15 or 16 leftover but thought I could utilize your help.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Car Loan w/ Large Negative equity

@Anonymous wrote:
Without going into extreme detail as to why I need another car I do need advice. I currently have 2 active auto loans in my name and an additional auto loan I cosigned on. I am able to make payments but the issue is that one of the cars thats only in my name needs to be traded in. I owe 15k of the original 29k loan. I'm extremely upside down because I put no down payment and wrapped everything into my loan (gap, tax, title, fees, etc). The car at best is worth 4-5k now. I have a standing preapprovals from 2 banks, but my concern is finding a vehicle I can potentially roll 8-10k in negative equity. Does anyone know of any good deals, rebates, incentives, etc and what vehicles would be best? I'm willing to take a 15 or 16 leftover but thought I could utilize your help.

Others on this site have been successful in purchasing a vehicle that has rebates to help eat up some of the negative equity. You are more likely to get larger rebates on a 2016.  The other thing you can do is get a CarMax estimate first - so you have an accurate idea of what a dealer will pay for your vehicle. Then use that value to negotiate with the dealer where you plan to make your trade. There are even dealers that advertise they will buy your car for $500 or $1000 more than the Carmax quote. 

Consider selling your vehicle either retail, where the neg equity is much less or to one of those dealerships that buy vehicles. You would have to bring cash to the deal but then you can start out on your next vehicle without being $10k upside down which will help with your payments. JMO

Message 2 of 14
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

A car that has a LOT of rebates right now....a brand new Chrysler 200. They are selling them for 10,000 off msrp in my region. Not a bad car but you will be BURIED even further in that than in your current car should you go ahead and purchase...

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding enough rebates and/or price cuts to absorb 10K in negative equity is going to be a monumental project.  And if they are selling a given new car at that low of a point below value, then you have to wonder why - cars lose a considerable chunk of their value once they are purchased and driven off the lot, but what on earth is making a particular model lose so much of its value before it's even sold?

As it sits now, if you really do intend to roll that much negative equity into a new car deal, you're going to have to shop at a price point above 45-50K.  If the new car is worth 48K, for example, then a 120% LTV loan would allow you to roll in $9600 above the value of the car - keep in mind, this includes taxes and fees on the new car, and the negative equity on the trade-in.  And know that a loan of this size, at 5% interest, is going to yield a monthly payment of well over $1000 on a 5-year note.  Which brings your DTI into play, since you already have other obligations on the books - you'll have to be able to cover DTI on this new payment as well and still be below the lender's requirements to get approved.  You'll also have to have a solid auto history, and perhaps even then they may not agree to write you a loan if you have no previous experience borrowing at this level.

You have to calculate not only based on LTV, but on the idea that you are looking at adding about $170 a month to whatever new payment you incur, to pay off the negative equity in five years at 5%.  If your file would put you in a higher interest range, that amount increases.  At 12%, it's over $220 just in negative equity payments, never mind the new vehicle itself.  

At this point, obviously selling the car outright isn't an option - you cannot clear the title to it until you pay off the entire remainder of the loan, and no buyer is going to give you $15K on a $5K car.  Trading it in is going to put you in a very, very deep equity hole on any new vehicle, and give you an incredibly large loan on a new vehicle that, in itself, will by definition not be worth enough to cover the loan balance for years and years to come, if ever.  (I'd bet on never, since depreciation is going to accelerate faster than the principal on the loan is going to fall.)  If you do decide to take the plunge, however, at the very least make sure you contact your insurance carrier and buy GAP coverage.  I don't often advovate buying this in most cases, at least not past the first couple of years of a 5-year loan, but in your case, you're going to need it until the very end.

Message 4 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^In short - you need cash to cure your neg equity in your current vehicle. 

Do whatever you have to do to get the funds together to either substantially pay down or pay off your neg equity before you trade or before you sell your vehicle. This is one of the disadvantages of buying with no money down. It makes your neg equity situation last much, much longer IMO.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancel ALL of your back end products, warranty, wheel and tire, etc except for GAP, you still need that. It wont lower your payment but it will take off from what you owe.

Message 6 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cancel ALL of your back end products, warranty, wheel and tire, etc except for GAP, you still need that. It wont lower your payment but it will take off from what you owe.

+1

+2 to go to carmax, dealerships don't offer you close to what carmax does.

3. If you can find any 2016 around still practically everyone is giving $7-$11k off depending on the car your looking at... however if your credit score is not strong that doesn't mean that they will instantly lend you the full amount that the car was originally at... Sometimes negative equity is best wrapped in a used car at carmax but if you can't get a rate below 4% than you are going to be in a terrible situation as soon as you drive away.

4. Id consider leasing and try to put $3k down at least and they might do it.

Message 7 of 14
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

i think you should really hold off on trading it in and rolling into a new loan. It is kind of a ponsie scheme (not sure if that is how u spell it) the time will come when something has to give and you will be really screwed being upside down big time. Imagine you roll 9 k into a new loan and 4 years down the road you want a new vehicle and now instead of 9 k upside down you will be 13 k upside down. Besides a bankruptcy do the following:

I SUGGEST YOU WAIT IT OUT 2 MORE YEARS AND IN THOSE 2 YEARS SAVE LIKE 3 THOUSAND BUCKS TO PUT DOWN TO OFFSET/REDUCE THE NEGATIVE EQUITY.

I was able to score a deal 6 years ago on a new truck 3k below msrp out the door with a 2 k negative equity on a gas gussles trade. I was upfront and serious this much out the door yes or i walk out. Deal done in one hour including test drive. If you insist on trading it in. >>> MAKE DEALERS WORK TO GET A DEAL. WALK OUT THE DEALER AND MAKE THEM LOWER THE PRICE. HAVE A STRAIGHT FACE AND MEAN BUSINESS. DONT BE AT A DEALER MORE THAN 60 MINUTES MAKING THE DEAL OR THEY WILL SEE A SUCKER IN YOU. EXPECT CALL BACKS.

Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It's 2016. I make my deal by email and text before I arrive and once numbers are good I will let them pull credit so the papers are ready to sign!
I'm not interested in things changing upon arrival... very few dealers do not have internet departments to do this completely... the ones that won't usually won't play ball without you in person... go to another!
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crash it into a pole totalling it..

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.