Not applicable

Car Shopping Memorial Day Weekend

Holy Cow what a weekend!!!!!

Just a brief overview

610 Equifax Fico

595 Trans Fico

629 Experian Fako

Spent 1.5 days of a 3day weekend at car dealerships Robot Mad

Where do I begin, let's start with wonderful Nissan and their top notch credit services. (being sarcastic just in case you don't notice) Robot tongue

Day 1 Saturday

Went to Nissan looking to see what deal I might get on a 2010 Murano SL AWD w/Nav. Had a preapproval from NMAC for Lease or Loan payments up to 550.00. It seemed wierd to me with my scores that I got approved at all, but what the hey! Well test drove, loved the car negotiated the payment to 460.00 2.5k down 39 mos with free oil changes and Tire replacement for that period.

Then get to finance and BAM, Mr. Customer you are only approved for 25K not the 38k you need to get this vehicle, how about a Rogue?

GRRRRRRRR are you kidding me!!! Lost the whole afternoon that day!!!!!! Man Mad

Be warned, this pre approval from Nissan is not what its cracked up to be, at least find out how much you are really qualified for before you even bother!!!

Day 1 part 2

Toyota's turn At least here I didn't expect much, I had already applied and been turned down by Toyota Motor Credit on-line, but the dealer insisited they had pull and could get me approved. Robot Indifferent

2010 Venza V6 Loaded Nav all the toys 38K MSRP at least they didn't lowball me with the payments. Once again 2.5k down 499.00 for 36 months and free maintenance for 2 years. (national program anyway) I was already tired and brain dead from the dissapointment from Nissan so I told them I would come back Monday

Day 2 Monday Memorial Day

GMC Terrain - Hot Car forget about getting a great deal especially with my scores only lost 30 minutes on this one

Hyundai Tuscon - Have to admit you get alot of car for the money, 28K loaded nav etc., but that 4 cylinder just aint cutting it, another 45 mins

Mazda 2010 CX7 Grand Touring AWD Loaded Nav etc. (By the way that is what I have today a 2007 now and my lease was ending next month)

So being that I was a Mazda repeat customer (Mazda 6 before the 2007 cx7) they approved me at 2.5k down 36 mos at 440.00 per month (ha ha same payment I was making on the last cx7) So I basically got the same car I have today, but new color at least! Smiley Very Happy

All I can say is it may get frustrating when your scores are low and you have to deal with crappy APR's and ridiculous lease rates, but in the end make the deal that is right for you. Robot Happy

At lease I don't have to use my Cap One Blank check at 9.2 APR for 72 mos

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Car Shopping Memorial Day Weekend

Congrats on your new wheels. I enjoyed reading your post, brought back memories. Just when I think I want to buy another car (a junky car so I can haul flagstone, park anywhere and not worry about dings in the door, eat in it, lol) I think I'm going to pass. Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

strange thing after 6 yrs you will have no car and 6yrs of payment to show.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so use the cap one check with that not so great APR of 9.2 for 6 years and the car will be worth nothing anyway at the end of the term or try to trade it in earlier and find out I am upside down and can't do the deal anyway.

I would rather pay a lower payment today and get the ride I want and improve my score during the lease term, so I can get 0% financing 3 years from now and then decide if I want to buy a car

Really?!

Just sharing an experience not looking for the lease preach Robot Indifferent

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading this thread, I thought about this article, the link to which has been posted elsewhere on this forum:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/TheRealReasonYoureBroke.aspx?OCID=eml_...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.