Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car dealer overcharged me for sales tax

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Car dealer overcharged me for sales tax

This could be an honest mistake but after doing a search online, I found that it's semi-common.  I just bought a car and found that the dealer overcharged me for sales tax.  It should have been $1171.25 but they charged me $1346.45.  There was no trade and the purchase agreement says that tax is calculated based on the amount on line 4. I thought something was a little off when we were finishing the deal and I was adding things up. I should have noticed when they lowered the price of the car by a few hundred dollars, the sales tax didn't change.  

So... I will be calling the dealer to point this out.  It was a "cash deal" (I had my own financing).  I presume they will just cut me a check for the overpayment amount.  One thing that I'm wondering is I signed everything agreeing to the total so does that matter? Hum...

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Car dealer overcharged me for sales tax

signing or not, if you were over charged you should get a check cut back to you. While not quite the same, I've had a check cut back to me for over payment of registration fees despite the amount being in the contract.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm guessing that it could just be an "honest mistake" but I'd be a little bit naive if I didn't notice that the majority of these snafus are always a net positive for the dealer.  :catwink:

Also I'll move this thread to the "auto loans" board.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I don't think I've seen anything involvoing money that wasn't in the dealer's favor Smiley Happy 

My phone rang as I started to type this, they just called because they found that mistake. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@masscredit wrote:

I don't think I've seen anything involvoing money that wasn't in the dealer's favor Smiley Happy 

My phone rang as I started to type this, they just called because they found that mistake. 

Well there ya go !   An honest mistake quickly corrected by the dealer !  Cat LOL

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.