Regular Contributor

Car loan 6 months prior to escrow

Hi there,

I have an employment opportunity coming up that requires me to do more driving and we are a 1 car family, we have a lease up in 6 months, along with a new construction home that should be ready by December. I am looking to purchase a car at just under $10k. I'm not sure what our DTI ratios are (I need to check with our loan lady) but is this a shot in the foot to our whole operation here, not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Regular Contributor

Re: Car loan 6 months prior to escrow

Do you plan on acquiring 2-vechiles once the lease is up?

If not, a $10,000 purchase (financed) should not affect your DTI for a home purchase; assuming the "new" payments are less than the lease payments.

If you plan on financing/leasing 2-vehicles in Dec, then your DTI will decrease and may reduce your mortgage loan amount, and may also affect your interest rate due to the credit inquiries.  However, you can offset the morgage loan decrease with down downpayment.

Regular Contributor

We wouldn't purchase/lease a car after the one that's coming up is due until we are clear of escrow. If need be we will rent a car until we are through escrow and everything is signed and dotted,

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Regular Contributor

If the lease expires after your settlement date, you won't have anything to worry about.

But it sounds like you already have a plan in place if the lease expires before the settlement date.  

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.