Valued Member
Tersie319

Car loan after mortgage?

I am needing a new car and had planned on going for that first but... We really want to get a house early summer next year. So hoping my current car will hold out that long, how feasible would it be to obtain a car loan right after closing on a house? Or how long would I have to wait?

I still have a lot of work to do on our credit but I hope to be in good shape by then.

Starting Score: 7/2/2013: TU 532 FAKO (CK) || 7/22/13: TU 569 FAKO
Current Score: TU 569 FAKO (CK) // EX 562 FAKO
Goal Score: 620

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: Car loan after mortgage?

Easy.

Established Contributor
bahbahd

Re: Car loan after mortgage?

You can get a new auto loan the day after closing your mortgage. Totally safe and fine that way. Since home loan is over 6 months out, you can get one now but it will affect your monthly DTI at mortgage time. Can you get a super cheap car now and sell/trade after mortgage? I'm not sure if lower monthly payments is more weighed than over all outstanding balance on the loan. If so, longer term with lower payments then refinancing after the mortgage closes may be an option.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+