Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car loan after new mortgage

tag
ChangiBear
New Contributor

Car loan after new mortgage

Hi all, I will be closing on a mortgage of $392k in September and will also be needing to get a used car.My fico scores are currently in the 720s and my income is $120k.

From experience, will I have a hard time getting financing for a car loan due to a new mortgage?

TIA
Cleared to Close on 9/9/13!
Closing on 9/17/13

8/31/12 FICO 733 (lender pulled)
1/7/13 Transunion 718, Equifax 710 (MyFico)
2/20/13 Equifax 729
8/13/13 Ex 751, Eq 766, TU 741 (all lender pulls)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Car loan after new mortgage

It won't be too much of a problem. Just be sure to do it after the closing. Make sure all is done before you app for anything.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You could do it before the mortgage but MAKE SURE your DTI is still okay with the new payment. I had similar scores as you back in Nov. My car died so I traded it in for a lease on a new Acura. I was preapproved for a mortgage in Jan and closed Feb 6th. New auto loan was not an issue. I went FHA. If you go conventional, I would wait until after the mortgage closes as the drop in score will affect your interest rate...not so much so with FHA. If you wait until after closing, I would apply BEFORE the mortgage reports so you don't run into DTI issues. The earliest I have read a mortgage report is 3 weeks after closing. Mines just reported a week ago.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 8
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

Our car died the day we got our keys. (that was fun..lol).  We got another car, but with all the HP's from mortgage co., and we went VA,  We had to pay a couple more points for interest.  But I just figure we'll refi in a couple months.  They also gave us 3 months of no payments as well.

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 4 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@jnkp2001 wrote:

Our car died the day we got our keys. (that was fun..lol).  We got another car, but with all the HP's from mortgage co., and we went VA,  We had to pay a couple more points for interest.  But I just figure we'll refi in a couple months.  They also gave us 3 months of no payments as well.

No payments + high interest=upside down loan

I hope you can put a lot down and be able to refi.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
You could do it before the mortgage but MAKE SURE your DTI is still okay with the new payment. I had similar scores as you back in Nov. My car died so I traded it in for a lease on a new Acura. I was preapproved for a mortgage in Jan and closed Feb 6th. New auto loan was not an issue. I went FHA. If you go conventional, I would wait until after the mortgage closes as the drop in score will affect your interest rate...not so much so with FHA. If you wait until after closing, I would apply BEFORE the mortgage reports so you don't run into DTI issues. The earliest I have read a mortgage report is 3 weeks after closing. Mines just reported a week ago.

+1

After close, but before it reports. 

Message 6 of 8
ChangiBear
New Contributor

Thanks all! Yeah, I was thinking of getting the car loan after we close but before the mortgage reports, so I'm glad to see that you guys agree with that.
Cleared to Close on 9/9/13!
Closing on 9/17/13

8/31/12 FICO 733 (lender pulled)
1/7/13 Transunion 718, Equifax 710 (MyFico)
2/20/13 Equifax 729
8/13/13 Ex 751, Eq 766, TU 741 (all lender pulls)
Message 7 of 8
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@jnkp2001 wrote:

No payments + high interest=upside down loan

I hope you can put a lot down and be able to refi.

it was only 11,000 a couple grand  below blue book,  I should have said, they made our first 3 payments. And with simple inrerest.  It shouldn't be a problem.  Hell, we were just happy to get a car.  it's hatd to move into a new house with a fridge on your backSmiley Very Happy....  Also a couple more points doesn't make it upside down.

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.