Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Car loans for bad credit.

It amazes me how many companies, banks and dealers that claim they can finance anyone and don't!
All it takes is an illness (such as what I have been dealing with for years) or an injury and then you have to choose what gets paid and putting food on the table. Then your car dies so now you can't get back to work to clean up the credit. So now you have a job you can't get to, can't get to work can't pay the bills. Yes there are people who scam, lie, cheat and don't pay their bills even after second chance but not everyone is like that.
If they don't pay their car payment then repo the car but making it harder on the people that really are trying to do right isn't going to stop those that don't pay their bills. And people who haven't had to struggle all their lives put those that have in a different category and put us down. I really thought maybe this country was going to change and give others the chance to get ahead but I don't ever see that happening! It's a vicious circle for the poor and some middle class! It's true the rich keep getting rich and the poor keep getting poor and there really isn't many out there that care.
Valued Contributor

Re: Car loans for bad credit.

My credit was about the worst you can possibly imagine (lots of fraud and merged credit file issues) and I got a loan through DriveTime (now Bridgecrest).

However, my income is significant and I had a large downpayment. I also sincerely regret doing this. I am getting close to two years now of payments and am having trouble finding someone that will refi - because of the ridiculously high interest rate, the DTV keeps getting worse and worse BY THE DAY. 

I do NOT recommend getting a high interest auto loan unless you can pay it off in the first year. 

Take whatever downpayment you have saved and buy something that can get you through your credit building days. There are many, many local and private sellers in need of cash and selling perfectly reliable cars that can last a few years.

EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Valued Contributor

Bad things can happen to good people, I have been there, out of work for 2 years from a work injury but the financial situation I was in was largely my fault from living beyond my means and not having any cushion for when life happens.  OP I get your frustration but no bank can finance "anyone"  you have to do your part to make it possible for them to provide you with a loan.  It isn't as simple as "repo the car if you don't pay", banks consistantly lose money on repossessions because cars are depreciating assets and it costs them money to repo a car.

If your looking for help finding options provide us some information and I am sure we can help.  Many of us have had our backs against the wall and have figured out how to make it work or have been fortunate to have the help of the great folks here to get what we need or at least work towards it.  

NFCU Go Rewards 18k, NFCU Go Rewards AU 22k, NFCU CLOC 15k, NFCU N Rewards 2k, Amex ED preferred 12k, Amex BC 1k, USAA CL 2k, Hawaiian Air Barclay 1.2k, Venture One 10.1k, Target 3.5k, Citi Costco 2k, Citi AAdvantage 7k, NFCU Platinum AR $2.4K, Penfed Platinum Rewards $5.5k. PayPal 2.2K

Gardening till 2018, Goal of 700's by the end of 2017
MyFico Scores April 2017: EQ 667 TU 696 EXP 690
Established Contributor

I had the same issues as all of you mention had to get a Drive Time car and I couldn't refinance it either it was too old. It would have been too much of a risk matter of fact when you purchase those cars they are already too old and a risk. I traded mine in last month I too had some issues from my ex ruining my credit and today I'm back in a normal lender over half the interest. Hang in there but yes they are horrible
USAA VISA 500, Cap1 Quicksilver1 MC 1050, Cap1 Quicksilver1 MC 2150, Barclay MC 1500, VS 3100, Lane Bryant 3050, HSN 1650, Macys 600, Walmart 300, Nordstrom 2100

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge>
Contributor

Daw1 wrote:
It amazes me how many companies, banks and dealers that claim they can finance anyone and don't!
All it takes is an illness (such as what I have been dealing with for years) or an injury and then you have to choose what gets paid and putting food on the table. Then your car dies so now you can't get back to work to clean up the credit. So now you have a job you can't get to, can't get to work can't pay the bills. Yes there are people who scam, lie, cheat and don't pay their bills even after second chance but not everyone is like that.
If they don't pay their car payment then repo the car but making it harder on the people that really are trying to do right isn't going to stop those that don't pay their bills. And people who haven't had to struggle all their lives put those that have in a different category and put us down. I really thought maybe this country was going to change and give others the chance to get ahead but I don't ever see that happening! It's a vicious circle for the poor and some middle class! It's true the rich keep getting rich and the poor keep getting poor and there really isn't many out there that care.

With the right amount of money down, I'd say almost anyone can get financed. (I.e. Someone with a 490 score could probably find a bank to approve a $15,000 car loan with 60% down).  I'm not really sure what a car loan has to do with the country changing....so what are we supposed to just have government guaranteed car loans for everyone now?? I'll pass on that. 

Back to buying a car with bad credit, nothing says you have to buy a car with a loan....you could buy a $1,000 cash car. Or, you could go to a "buy here pay here" lot, they typically don't require much down and make risky loans. Yes, you'll pay more than the vehicle is worth, but it's a mode of transportation. 

Starting Score:Low 500s in 2013
Current Score: TU: 681 EX: 674 EQ: 698
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS1 - Cap1 BuyPower - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - AmEx Delta Gold - AmEx Green - DISCO

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

sparklerd34 wrote:
I had the same issues as all of you mention had to get a Drive Time car and I couldn't refinance it either it was too old. It would have been too much of a risk matter of fact when you purchase those cars they are already too old and a risk. I traded mine in last month I too had some issues from my ex ruining my credit and today I'm back in a normal lender over half the interest. Hang in there but yes they are horrible

My car is a 2015, and had under 60,000 miles... but I owe more than it's worth, so yea. It's pretty terrible.

EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
New Contributor

I also recommend not getting a car loan with high interest rate. 

Three years ago, I was in a position where I NEEDED a car, and wanted to see what I could do on my own without a co-signer. I went to the dealership and got a car for $17K with a whopping 24% interest, $2,500 downpayment and still needed a co-signer. My monthly payment was $550 and interest was almost $14 a day! The car was a 2011 and it had 40K miles on it at the time of purchase. 

Tried refinancing at the 6mo-1yr mark, and no success because I was upside down on the payments. I searched high and low for a dealer where I could trade the car in because I needed to get out of that loan. 

Last year, I went to a regular name-brand dealer and traded the car in. My payments are still the same but for a newer car(2yrs old), less miles(16K), and it's exactly what I need for my family. 

FICO8 Scores - Apr 11, 2017 600TU / 601EQ / 602EX
On Mortgage Journey
Starting Mortgage Scores (Feb 27) 523EQ / 547TU / 564EX
Mortgage Scores (Mar 13) 574EQ / 602TU / 571EX
Mortgage Scores (Apr 13) 600EQ / 597TU / 578 EX

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.