Not applicable

Car payments

Do bi weekly car payments work, and can you do them yourself
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Car payments

Each lender is different, but for most people it's monthly car payments that you can indeed do yourself.

The only lenders that I know that do biweekly car payments are usually subprime lenders. (However, banks may allow partial payments biweekly to satisfy the monthly payment... I'm just not aware of this.)
Message 2 of 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Kenny is correct. Many subprime lenders allow (and encourage it) as they usually charge a few for it.

With that said, every auto lender I've used (Honda/GMAC/local CU) allow you to make one payment a day - so you could in theory do what you want.

They do help with interest though - reducing the term of the loan by a few months depending on loan details.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on your lender.  I have an auto loan through Chase Bank.  While my payments are scheduled monthly...you can go online and make bi weekly payment.  The only caveat is both bi weekly payments need to post before the montly due date.  

Message 4 of 6
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

This is interesting and Ive had both types of lenders with car loans in the past.  I recently posted on another thread wondering if NFCU allowed this bi weekly or pay when you want practice. I'm approved but havnt secured a deal yet so It will be a while before I know for sure. Someone posted that they were able to pay NFCU every week if they wished.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 5 of 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Most lenders don't matter how many payments you make (though most limited to one every 24 hours).

As long as the total amount due is paid by the due date, there should be no issues.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.