Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmax and bad credit ?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Carmax and bad credit ?

has anyone every purchased from carmax with little money down and bad fico scores? how much did you put down? what were your ficos? who were you financed through?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Carmax and bad credit ?

My friend used to work at carmax and told me it is very hard to get financed through them if you have bad credit / low scores. 98% of the time they turn you down. About 10 years ago I tried to get a car through carmax and was declined. I don't know what my scores were though, but I was trying to buy my first car.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did with Carmax last year in June.

With average scores in the 580 range and with the only recent Credit History being a Secured BofA card with 3 months history at the time.

I had not used credit for several years before that so there were not any Credit History but also there were not any baddies either.

I was Financed at 18% for 72 months through AmeriCredit for $26,000 and put $3,000 Cash down on a 2005 Chrysler 300C.

Now almost 1 year later and much better FICOs I am about to re-finance with either PenFed or JFCU at 4.25% for the remaining balance for 60 months.

It can be done.
Message 3 of 21
jay33
Valued Member

I purchased thrugh Carmax about a year and half ago.  I had scores from 575 to 615.  I was denied by many but apporved through Wells Fargo and BofA.  I put $500 down.  Keep in mind this was a new Carolla...If you're looking for a more expensive vehicle than it may be tougher.  Good luck
Message 4 of 21
willhbauto
Established Member

How did you buy a "new" Corolla at Carmax? Carmax only sells preowned vehicles.

Anyways, you screwed up by allowing that vehicle to get reposessed, it takes almost 120 days late for a bank to decide they're going to take it from you and they usually contact you many time first. You can still get approved for financing but you'll have to prove you crawl before walk all over again. You'll get approved at a sub-prime rate on a small dollar amount. Usually between 10-15K. You said you do investing correct? Then how come you don't realize how bad of an investment a $40,000 car loan is at 12%-15% interest rate? Not to mention you'll be paying mortgage like car-payments, a dumb decision. 

There is a good reason Warren Buffett still lives in the modest house in Oklahoma that he lived in before he made his billions.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are wrong about the 120 days for repo from a bank.  My brother got his car repo'd after missing 2 payments - so that's 60 days.  It was financed through Toyota Motor Credit.  I guess it depends on the financing agency.  He got it back two days later, but what a production.  They came at 2 in the morning and took the car, no notice or anything!
Message 6 of 21
treschic
Frequent Contributor

i know this is late, but i'm surprised that no one responded to willhbauto comment, i don't think it productive nor constructive to tell someone that whatever decision they made was "dumb" or to condem them for a decision/mistake they made.  the purpose of this forum is to provide constructive critisim.  "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" definently applies here.
Message 7 of 21
jay33
Valued Member

Sorry, not new.  It was an 06 purchased in November of 06.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

and carmax does sell new cars!!!
Message 9 of 21
myficomatt
Regular Contributor

willhbauto wrote:There is a good reason Warren Buffett still lives in the modest house in Oklahoma that he lived in before he made his billions.

Warren Buffett lives in Omaha, NE. but your point is still clear... Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.