Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmax financing

tag
Misstasha
Established Member

Re: Carmax financing-UPDATE

I would try another salesman or better yet visit the store if it's not out of your way. There is no hard sell there so don't be afraid. The prices and commissions are fixed so youre treated well no matter what. I was approved for  7.95 financing with scores below 640 a judgement 21 +120 lates 3 unpaid charge offs and 5 collections! They only pulled EX and it was so worth it for me!

Message 11 of 35
lola52
Established Member

The closest store to me is about 5-6 hours away Smiley Sad

Im going to try another salesperson.. I really need a car!

Message 12 of 35
TheStig
Established Member

Car max will approve anyone! my friend just got a $17k Loan with $2500 down for $400 amonth His Fico was 421!!!!

Fico Equifax: 413
Fico TransUnion: 394
Fico Experian: 411

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 35
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@TheStig wrote:

Car max will approve anyone! my friend just got a $17k Loan with $2500 down for $400 amonth His Fico was 421!!!!

Wow.....and that's an interest rate north of 20% too...Cat Indifferent

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 35
lola52
Established Member

Re: Carmax financing

Applied and was denied.
Fico is 510 and i have a $2500 downpayment, im hopeless :/
Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that.

You may want to try Roadloans. They're a second (third?) chance lender. When I worked at Carmax, maybe 10% of the customers came in with a Roadloans package. They were a pain to process for us because of the extra paperwork, but they approved customers who didn't qualify with any of our in-house lenders, and most times with better rates than our lowest tier lender (Santander/Drive).

Another option may be a credit union, if you're eligible to join. I didn't believe the stories about CUs helping out when no other lenders would until I experienced it myself.

Also, I'm sure you've already thought about it and the salesperson mentioned it, but getting a cosigner would probably improve your odds of getting approved through Carmax.

Message 16 of 35
lola52
Established Member

Road loans is telling me i need a 2014 or newer vehicle, i was approved for 15k thats pretty hard to find a 2014 car with that price range
Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Screw CarMax.  There are other places to buy a car out there.  I recommend a car that retains value well.  I've owned 3 honda accords.  They retain value so well, I bought it brand new 2012 accord se $21.4k + fees with a ridiculous 12.35% interest rate 2.5 years ago and my car still has a KBB of over $15k and my loan is down to $12.9k.  

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lola52 wrote:
Road loans is telling me i need a 2014 or newer vehicle, i was approved for 15k thats pretty hard to find a 2014 car with that price range

Well, what kind of car are you looking for? I see 113 cars on Carmax's site that fall under this category (2014 + $15k). Just search for "any distance" (Carmax can have most vehicles transferred to your location for a fee which is listed on the site). Mitsubishi Lancer, Dodge Dart, Dodge Avengers, Nissan Versa, Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cobalt, etc. Nothing fancy, but they're all pretty good cars that get fantastic gas mileage.

Having said that, given the requirements by Roadloan, I actually wouldn't even consider buying used. Just buy new. There's a very good chance buying a NEW 2014 car will actually be cheaper (possibly substantially so) vs buying used. Your timing is actually really good since a lot of new car dealers are looking to make room for the 2015 models right now and are heavily discounting their unsold 2014s. You might want to search on a site like "Cars Direct" (you can specifically search for brand new cars "$15K and below"), and you'll see a lot of options including cars like the base VW Jetta and the Jeep Patriot on top of those smaller cars previously mentioned. I'd recommend the Ford Focus or Fiesta, Hyundai Accent (5 yr bumper to bumper and 10 yr mechanical warranty), or the Jetta if you want something that feels slightly more upscale at the potential cost of reliability.

The other great thing about buying brand new is that the financing is typically lower than for used vehicles, and the dealership (eg, Ford Credit, Hyundai, etc) might be able to crush the APR that Roadloans gave you. Anyway, a good place to start is a site like Cars Direct. Just fill in your info, and it'll be sent to the local dealerships near you, after which point the dealerships that have inventory that meet your criteria will reach out to you directly.

Good luck!

Message 19 of 35
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

I apply to CarMax as well boy those people are a rip off, I could have put a  $1000 down on a $15,000 dollar truck 20% instert and a $400 dollar a month payment.

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.