Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash for Clunkers Bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash for Clunkers Bill

@Anonymous wrote:

15mpg ......18mpg So what....it's still a bad deal. PERIOD Even David Axelrod stated last week in an interview on MSNBC it wasn't going far enough. But he stated it was a start, why not just get a decent bill to the table and pass it. I didn't vote for getting more of the the Status Quo...I voted for CHANGE

King

But if they do raise the maximum MPG a car can get then that will limit the number of new cars one can buy. If they raise it to say, 25MPG, to qulify for the $4,500, you would have to buy a car that gets 35MPG. There's not that many options. Also, Obama is not always going to do what you want and not all bills or laws are going to directly benefit or affect you.

But they are limiting options MaxPower, they put all these rules and qualifications that you have to meet before you can even participate. I just feel they are settling for just a so-so bill just to get some type of legislation passed just so they can say they did something.....and that to me seems like The Status Quo.

Almost like that B.S. Gas Tax holiday garbage that was being mentioned during the campaign on the other side of the aisle.  But not doing anything really.

King

Message Edited by 74king on 06-18-2009 09:52 AM
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not a fan of the policy either - but if I have to live with it, I'd like to take advantage of it too - and I'm looking at new vehicles right now.  One caveat to be aware of is that the minimum combined mpg for the new car to qualify appears to be 22mpg - not bad for most mid-sized sedans, but hurts if you're looking at the luxury market at all.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what you mean by luxury market, but the MSRP is capped at $45,000.
Message 13 of 17
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Cash for clunkers? What's next from our wonderful legislators in DC? Cash for human organs? This is insane and downright fascist. If a person needs or wants a newer/new car, they need to be patient, save the money for a downpayment and finance it or pay in cash.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness does not include having the federal government hold a gun to a taxpayer's head and confiscating money from them to fund these types of social engineering experiments.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IrishPM wrote:

Cash for clunkers? What's next from our wonderful legislators in DC? Cash for human organs? This is insane and downright fascist. If a person needs or wants a newer/new car, they need to be patient, save the money for a downpayment and finance it or pay in cash.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness does not include having the federal government hold a gun to a taxpayer's head and confiscating money from them to fund these types of social engineering experiments.

Fascist? Come on. Stupid, yes groundless, yes but Fascist...umm no. 

It's really no bigger then anything else the Feds do. 

Really?  Ever heard of earned income credit? Squeeze out a bunch of kids you can't afford and the government gives you money.

Squeeze out a bunch of kids you can afford and you get lower taxes

Be a church lobbying against equality and pay no taxes though the people you are trying to keep disenfranchised still pay their fair share

Buy a house, get a tax credit..I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IrishPM wrote:

Fascist..........ahhhh NO........ let's tone down the name calling and labeling. We all know Congress on both side of the aisle haven't been working for the people for a long time. They just need to start.....they are stuck in the Status Quo and don't want to change.

King

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bill should be reaching Obama's desk soon for signing, but that didn't stop the website from launching.  www.cars.gov for more information.

As far as the OP wondering about what brand of new car is eligible, according to cars.gov, foreign or domestic qualifies.  So long as it is under $45,000.  I read about a minimum MPG of 22 for the new car but I'm not sure if that was official.

Another interesting thing I read on that site is that this will work for auto leases as well (as long as the lease contract is at least 5 years).  Would the credit be applied towards the final amount paid at lease-end?  Could it be used as part of the money due at signing?  A little bit of both?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.