Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Chances of Auto Loan Approval?

Hello there! I have been an avid reader of this forum for about a year now but time has approached for me to purchase my first car!

A little background knowledge,

Age- I am 21 years old 

Annual Income - 22k

Employed - 2 years

Credit Score - 705-715 across the board

Average accounts - 1 yr 8 months - longest account- ( student loan) - 3.5 years ago newest acount - 3 months ago (student loan )

I am looking to get a 18K car loan on a 2016 Nissan Sentra 

My current Util - 35% ( I am looking to get it lower ) ( $7500 limits all together ). I have $2500 credit card debt and $11,000 student loan ( I am currently still in school) no late payments or baddies. 

My question is will I be able to get financing with Nissan (college grad program) without having to put a down payment or have a cosigner? 

I am always looking to get a pre approval with Capital One .

Thanks for all your help!! 

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Chances of Auto Loan Approval?

My guess would be no, at least not with any good rates. The main reasons being your utilization/debt and no down payment. Your history on its own isn't that bad, but $11000 in student loans and $2500 in CC debt on $7500 total available credit is, especially since it sounds like you're carrying a balance month to month and make $22000 per year. You'd get approved for a smaller loan, but $18000 with no down payment just doesn't seem likely from my point of view.
New Contributor
0 Kudos

I have similar income to you and about the same age. I was approved for 2012 avenger last year on my own through a credit union with the scores around 670 EX as that's what my CU pulled. I'll say you could get approved but with a hefty down payment. My car was around $7k with 80k miles on it and they still wanted me to put at least 15% down. (Could be because first auto loan and no co signer)

I know it may seem nice to have a car that's now 1-2 years old but is it in best interest for you? You could always finance something a few years older with low miles still and cheaper... could be approved on the spot instead of breaking the bank as your income is only 21k compared to a 18k car. Just my input. Good luck on the car hunt!
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

What does Cap One Navigator say?

They are usually pretty accurate.

Visa Siggy $30,000 ....... World MC $25,500 ....... Visa Siggy $23,750...........$3,300 ............. $1,800 ........... $17,000 ........... $6,000

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.