cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of approval for a second car loan?

tag
froggyzsn

Chances of approval for a second car loan?

I already have a car loan from July of 2010 for almost 12k with 7k remaining balance. payment of $200/mo. Its a joint account with my dad. long story short, my dad wanted the car and took over the payments and i bought a beater car in the mean time. Now im looking to get a car with a 10-20k loan and i was wondering what my chances are. I have a 663 EQ/705 TU credit score, the installment loan mentioned earlier, and a few revolving accounts in good standings. What are my chances of getting approved for another car loan?

~Gardening until October, 2013 ~

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chances of approval for a second car loan?

@froggyzsn wrote:

I already have a car loan from July of 2010 for almost 12k with 7k remaining balance. payment of $200/mo. Its a joint account with my dad. long story short, my dad wanted the car and took over the payments and i bought a beater car in the mean time. Now im looking to get a car with a 10-20k loan and i was wondering what my chances are. I have a 663 EQ/705 TU credit score, the installment loan mentioned earlier, and a few revolving accounts in good standings. What are my chances of getting approved for another car loan?

Does your dad have good credit?  Would he be able to refinance the car into his name only?

What does your income look like, and what are your current obligations (besides this $200/ month on the other car) ?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 8
froggyzsn

@webhopper wrote:

@froggyzsn wrote:

Does your dad have good credit?  Would he be able to refinance the car into his name only?

What does your income look like, and what are your current obligations (besides this $200/ month on the other car) ?

He has excellent credit, high 700's / low 800's. He most likely would but i think that might hurt my FICO score since that is my longest account. My annual income is $20,000/yr. and i have no other obligations besides $200/mo rent and my cc balances

Message 3 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@froggyzsn wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@froggyzsn wrote:

He has excellent credit, high 700's / low 800's. He most likely would but i think that might hurt my FICO score since that is my longest account. My annual income is $20,000/yr. and i have no other obligations besides $200/mo rent and my cc balances

At $20k per year, it may be a stretch to get another auto loan.

Your past account history will still be on your credit report. I think in any case it would be good to get your name off a loan for a vehicle that isn't yours.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 8
froggyzsn

@Dustink wrote:

@froggyzsn wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@froggyzsn wrote:

At $20k per year, it may be a stretch to get another auto loan.

Your past account history will still be on your credit report. I think in any case it would be good to get your name off a loan for a vehicle that isn't yours.

Okay thank you! I am just doing some planning for the future. I dont plan on buying the car until another 6 mo to a year goes by. I just wanted to get some opinions ahead of time! Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Even if your dad refies into his name; the paid car loan will stay on your report for up to 10 years and you'll keep the history associated with that account.
FICO 9:

Message 6 of 8
froggyzsn

@webhopper wrote:
Even if your dad refies into his name; the paid car loan will stay on your report for up to 10 years and you'll keep the history associated with that account.

+1 thank you for sharing the knowledge! For now, my plan is to leave it on there and continue to recieve the positive statements it leaves on my CR until I am ready to go car shopping! I really enjoy the feedback I recieve on this forum... everyone has a lot of useful information to share! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@froggyzsn wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

+1 thank you for sharing the knowledge! For now, my plan is to leave it on there and continue to recieve the positive statements it leaves on my CR until I am ready to go car shopping! I really enjoy the feedback I recieve on this forum... everyone has a lot of useful information to share! Smiley Happy

No problem and glad to help!

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.