cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of me getting an Auto Loan with out Co-signer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances of me getting an Auto Loan with out Co-signer?

I want to "purchase" a used car in the next month or so. I just wanted to make sure I'm prepared and be successful in getting a loan without needing a co-signer.

So based on the information provided below. What are the chances of me getting a auto loan and without needing a co-signer? And should I get a loan from the bank first or get the loan through the dealership?

Credit Score: 742 FAKO EXperian - I know it is not a accurate score but let's say my true FICO Score is within 720-740

AAoA: 4.67 (Credit Cards) 2.67 (Combined with years of loans)

# of positive trade lines: 9

# of negative trade lines: 0

Income: $1,260/month

Lenght of Employment: 7 years

Previous Loan Experience: N/A in Auto Loans

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 7% - 22% (If you include my sisters loan, of which I don't pay)

Year of Car: 2010-2012

Miles: under $70,000

Purchase/Refinance: Finance

Requested loan term (XX Months): 60 or 48 months

Down payment amount: $3,000

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: No

Detailed breakdown of about information

What I am hoping to buy:

Used Toyota Corolla 2010 - 2012 Mileage: Under 70,000- price around $15,500ish (with fees, tax, etc included). With $3,000 down payment. So a $12,500ish Auto Loan.

Let me start off with basic information about myself:

Recent college graduate, still looking for a "real" job

Have a full time job in "retail", with a position that guarantees me 40 hours each week.

I've had this job for 7 years.

My monthly income is about $1,260 a month, paid bi-weekly.

I currently live with my parents, all I pay are the utility bills but I don't plan on mentioning that (should I?). So consider my rent $0.

Debt-to-Income: $85.74/$1,260 $272.74/$1,260 (If you count sister's loan)

My FAKO Score through Experian: 742 - I know it is not a accurate score but let's say my true FICO Score is within 720-740.

The Credit Cards I have:

I pay whatever balance I have in full each month for the past 6 months or so. Credit cards I had through college. The Highest balances looks bad.

Capital One Platinum

- Credit Limit: $3,000 - Card Holder Since 2008 - Highest Balance: $524

Best Buy Store Card (Store use only)

- Credit Limit: $1,000  - Card Holder Since 2009 - Highest Balance: $933

Amazon.com Reward Visa (Chase)

- Credit Limit: $700 - Card Holder Since 2011 - Highest Balance: $696

Combined Credit Limit: $4,700 - Current Balance: $0

The Student loans I have through Sallie Mae:

Student loans taken from 2012-2013, total loan amount: $6,895 total monthly payment: $85.74 - I add more to my monthly payments.

Loan 1 - Original Amount - $1,283 - Current Balance: $1,162 - Monthly Payment: $12

Loan 2 - Original Amount - $2,522 - Current Balance: $2,175 - Monthly Payment: $24

Loan 3 - Original Amount - $1,695 - Current Balance: $1,535 - Monthly Payment: $16

Loan 4 - Original Amount - $1,842 - Current Balance: $482 - Monthly Payment: $14

Loan 5 - Original Amount - $1,675 - Current Balance: $1,541- Monthly Payment: $16

Other Loans:

My younger sister was in a pinch and needed to take a loan for a car (yeah, she got a car before me). She needed a co-signer and I "had" to sign on the loan. So this loan is a co-signed/joint loan:

Co-signed/Joint Auto Loan

Original Amount: $5,121- Current Balance $2,877 - Monthly Payment: $187

I know I am responsible for my sister's loan because I co-signed and it does appear on my credit report. She hasn't missed a payment.

So with that in mind, my combine current loan amounts is: $9,772

Monthly total payments: $272.74 ($187 my sister pays).

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of me getting an Auto Loan with out Co-signer?

You would stand a very good chance of being approved. I'm assuming the income listed is gross? If so your max monthly payments (DTI at 45%/best risk level assumed) would be around 567. Including a loan payment on $12,500 for 60 months at 2.99% your combined payments would be 496, under the max. Does the $12,500 include tax and title as well?

As far as where to go a dealership will shop around for you and can offer multiple lenders/rates. The advantage of going to your bank if they offer competetive rates is they will use their internal score to help in deciding the risk level you belong in. Assuming you have had a good relationship (years you've been a customer, do not overdraft account, consistent deposits, decent balances, etc) this can help with putting you in the top RL, although looks like your credit history is good so this would not be needed.

Background - 6+ years in banking during/after obtaining finance degree - includes formal credit training for consumer and business lending.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car prices I'm looking at I estimate to be around $15,500ish ($14,000 used cars). The amount I mentioned of $12,500 is the number I'm guessing with tax and after my $3000 down payment.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect, I would say you will not have an issue applying by yourself at this point.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the amount I have in student loans and co-signed auto loan for my sister won't hurt my chances right? 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, including those loans your income would still be sufficient to serve your total debt. Big benefit of living at home and not having a housing payment of some sort.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a sigh of relief for me. Was worried about the loan I co-signed would really hi dear my chances. Thanks you so much for answering my questions!

Not sure if you can answer this one. But when buying a car and taking auto loan. You need to be insured. I've never own a car but have driven my parents cars. Thus I am insured under their car insurance  policy. When the time comes can I use my parents insurance (again, I am listed under it.) at time time of the purchase and taking out the loan or must I first set up my own?

Message 7 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

If you live in the same household, in 99% of states, you'll be fine staying on your parent's insurance if you choose (just have to list the car on their insurance, obviously).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.