cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off and 1099-C- Auto Accident

tag
rae7285

Charge off and 1099-C- Auto Accident

My daughter is 19 years old. We helped her save $2,000 to purchase a car with. She found a car she liked and went to purchase the car while we were both at work. At some point, she lost focus and wound up at a buy here, pay here place. Ultimately, she signed a contract to pay $8500 for a car blue-booked at $3200 (not including the 25% interest rate). That amount 'financed' is after the $1500 she gave them as a down payment. So, $10,000 in total. She, thankfully, purchased the collison/gap coverage. On Nov 4th, she had an accident which deemed the vehicle a total loss. She then made an additional loan payment on the car on Nov 7th. The "insurance" company paid $2362.50 towards the vehicle loan on 11-24. The buy here, pay here place then gave the title/car to the towing place to "settle the bill". The documents we have state the "Limit of Liability" of the insurance purchased is LOAN AMOUNT not vehicle worth. We've sought out an attorney to fight for the remainder owed on the loan. That's not the bigger issue. The buy here, pay here place reported the loan as a charge off to all credit agencies in November.... Same month as the accident and receiving $2462.50 in payments on the loan. Which is equivilent to 7 months of payments. Then, they filed a 1099-C for 2014. Everything I'm reading shows a loan has to be 120 days in default before a charge off is legal and that a charge off has to be in effect before the 1099-C can be filed. Does anyone have any information in regards to how we fight this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge off and 1099-C- Auto Accident

I don't have an answer for you but you may be better posting this in the rebuilding credit forum because your immediate problem with the charge off and 1099 is probably going to get more responses there as those are legal questions that some of the posters there are more familiar with.

Message 2 of 3
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Charge off and 1099-C- Auto Accident

I would get your daughter a lawyer.  First take a hard look at the gap coverage, that should pay off the difference between the loan amount and the actual value.

If the Buy here pay here place sold her the policy and then the accident happened they cannot report it as a charge off and issue the 1099-C, hence the lawyer.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.