cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevrolet Dealership Does 15 Hard Pulls on my Credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chevrolet Dealership Does 15 Hard Pulls on my Credit!

Back in February of 2015 I went to purchase a New / Used Vehicle. I went to a dealership where a long time friend of mine worked (14 plus years) he works in the service department and assured me he had a great salesman. I went to meet the salesman and he seemed like a genuine person. We walked around and discussed what types of vehicles I was interested in. I was very specific about what i wanted. He showed it to me (strangely enough the price was right and very fair) we never discussed "what i could afford" we never discussed all of the regular BS that a car salesman does. We went to speak to finance department. I checked my watch and said I needed to go back to office. Obviously the next step was to get the credit check done. They contacted me via email and said i was approved. I dropped off the cash money down and went forward with my life. A few months later I got the truck refinanced and my local bank stated they had some concerns and wanted me to call. The Car Loan department at my local bank told me they did 15 HARD PULLS on my credit! I immediately contacted the dealership to ask them why and they stated this was standard practice. I am hoping someone in this forum can explain why they did this so many times. I took the time to call 5 of these lenders and 5 of the 15 stated that I was approved. One of the ladies stated that this was very odd behavior. She looked up my information and stated THAT ALL 3 TIMES they approved the loan. I have already started the process of trying to remove some of the inquiries but i have been told that these are permissible credit inquiries. I would like to know is there some point where a Finance Department can be abusive with Credit Pulls? Should I try and fight this to get the credit pulls removed or should I just wait this out?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Chevrolet Dealership Does 15 Hard Pulls on my Credit!

Ouch, that is a lot of inquiries for one car purchase. Unfortunately there are dealerships out there that like to shop financing around.
The impact the inquiries have on your score will be negligible now that they are approaching one year old, and they will drop off in one more year. I wouldn't worry so much about getting them removed at this point and let them age off.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 5
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

dealerships are known to do this all the time. I recently tried to purchase a toyota tacoma from the nissan dealership and already had a approval at a local credit union to refinance my car but just decided to go ahead and buy a tacoma since thats what I really wanted. They keep insisting that they could get me approved a lower rate and in the end I ended up with about 10 to 15 inquiries and no approval. They also tried to low ball me on my car and get as much as they could for the truck. I could have used the approval at the credit union but they would have to come down 2500 on the truck and give me more for my car. They did not won't to work with the credit union so I just refinanced my car for a lower rate then what I have now.  Went from 20% to 8.99% at 48 months so I;m happy.

Message 3 of 5
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Be wary about this. Investigate thoroughly. I'm a former service advisor of many years. Prior to my employment at two different dealerships, there were issues concerning people in finance stealing identities. One, was outright identity theft. He and his salesgirl girlfriend had "habits" to support. The other? Well someone in finance had some "hood" friends that wanted these high end cars. Plenty of cash but no way to justify it, if you catch my drift. So when they came in to buy a car with, let's say, "under $10,000" as a down payment, he used "your" previous finance information to put "you" down as a co-signer.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 4 of 5
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

within how many months, have you refinanced your chevy auto loan to CU?

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.