cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing on a house next week with an old car!

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing on a house next week with an old car!

@FrugalRican wrote:

Not just the fact that she bought it alone, but buying a car just before closing on a home?!?

And this poster has said in another thread she wanted to buy stuff before even closing on the home and I had told her that this was a huge mistake. Why go buy a car a week before closing!?

I'm actually glad that car was a lemon. It being a lemon actually did her a favor, more than she knows.

Leave the impulse buying til AFTER you get the keys to the house.

Actually... wait until 30 days after closing...   They may pull your CR again within 30 days after closing as an "account audit" type of scenario... So you don't want any new accounts or big changes in your credit report... I've heard horror stories of them taking the house back Smiley Sad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

@webhopper wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Not just the fact that she bought it alone, but buying a car just before closing on a home?!?

And this poster has said in another thread she wanted to buy stuff before even closing on the home and I had told her that this was a huge mistake. Why go buy a car a week before closing!?

I'm actually glad that car was a lemon. It being a lemon actually did her a favor, more than she knows.

Actually... wait until 30 days after closing...   They may pull your CR again within 30 days after closing as an "account audit" type of scenario... So you don't want any new accounts or big changes in your credit report... I've heard horror stories of them taking the house back Smiley Sad

Just learned something new. I figured, once keys in hand, you're good to go.

Well, looks like month after keys in hand now!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@SuzyStellar wrote:

I know I know I wasn't supposed to!  I know I know, now I just have to return it...everything is a ok don't worry.  We close on TUesday!

OMG wow.... ya don't go buy a car without bringing your hubby along... I'm glad that PSECU took care of you on this!

Wives can know more about cars than husbands.  Also, I believe that once your loan is FUNDED and the title is RECORDED, you are pretty safe to do whatever you want with your credit.  I know that I did!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 13 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

True that wives can know about cars!!!  Sorry for not being more specific... 

I just think that big purchases should be made together when you're married Smiley Happy

That way you both agree on the purchase.

Joey and I have been talking about what kind of car we'll buy next... and the purchase is going to happen in 2016 Smiley Wink

Never too soon to make a plan lmao

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

Pretty safe != Completely Safe

I'd rather have my bases covered and guaranteed. I've seen a LOT of loans fall through because people went nuts before closing.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

As others have said, wait until after closing to buy a car.  If you have to have something now rent one.  Spending a few extra dollars is worth it over losing the house right before closing.  Since you don't know anything about cars, take you husband or a friend or other family member that does.  If known of them are knowledgable take it to a mechanic.  Most will do a very complet inspection for ~$100.  That $100 can save you thousands down the road.  You don't want to get another junker that will be costing you big bucks to repair as your trying to get settled in your new house because trust me, things will be popping up there.

Message 16 of 17
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'd say wait two months to be on the safe side! That's what I did. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.