cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-sign on loan, using higher credit score?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Co-sign on loan, using higher credit score?

My wife and I are currently shopping for a new car. She has a EQ FICO of 710, mine is 814. I'd like the auto loan to be in her name, so that it helps her build up her credit score. But they want to give her a 3.9% rate, while mine would be 0.9%. This adds up quite a bit. So I'm wondering if I cosign on her loan, will they give us the 0.9% interest rate? That way we can build her credit, but still not pay the extra in interest.

??

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Co-sign on loan, using higher credit score?

I would think that they would probably work it this way, honestly it's probably negotiable between you and the finance people..

People use cosigners to get better interest rates, so tell them that you want the .9% deal with both of you on the loan.   If they really want to sell you the car then they will go along with it.   Or they might split it down the middle, say at 2% or something similar.    How badly do you want the car, would you walk out if they refuse the .9% ?

Interest rates are a negotiating point in the sales process, in addition to the actual price of the car.   So it's up to you  to decide where to draw the line.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
longhorn11
New Contributor

I've seen and read that usually the rates are based on the primary borrower's credit score and the individual with the lower score would be the co-borrower.  You could ask the finance company if they report information to the co-borrower's credit report.  Like pizzadude said though, everything is negotiable.  

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longhorn11 wrote:

I've seen and read that usually the rates are based on the primary borrower's credit score and the individual with the lower score would be the co-borrower.  You could ask the finance company if they report information to the co-borrower's credit report.  Like pizzadude said though, everything is negotiable.  

Co-signed loans are always reported to both AFAIK.

3% is 3%, as Pizzadude suggested, go ask for it.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.