Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signed on Vehicle

tag
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

Co-signed on Vehicle

Help I co-signed a vehicle last year for my brother and he missed two payments and my credit score has dropped 40pts in one and 50pts in the two other. Smiley Sad What should I do?

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Co-signed on Vehicle

@Florida1990 wrote:

Help I co-signed a vehicle last year for my brother and he missed two payments and my credit score has dropped 40pts in one and 50pts in the two other. Smiley Sad What should I do?

Get your name off the loan as soon as you can - that is the best way to protect yourself. The way to do that is he has to refinance the vehicle into his name only.

It will be very difficult if not impossible for him to do that with 2 missing payments.

The other way is for him to pay you and you to pay the lender.

Another way is to sell the vehicle and bring cash to the deal (I assume he is upside down - owes more than it is worth).

Your options are very limited. You are 100% responsible for this loan (as well as your brother). Look for the words: "jointly and severally" in the loan documents. It means you both together and/or each of you separately are 100% responsible for the repayment of this loan. It is in all co-signed loans so it is nothing unusual but it is harsh. If he gets a repo, so do you. So: protect yourself now before that happens.

Message 2 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Florida1990 wrote:

Get your name off the loan as soon as you can - that is the best way to protect yourself. The way to do that is he has to refinance the vehicle into his name only.

It will be very difficult if not impossible for him to do that with 2 missing payments.

The other way is for him to pay you and you to pay the lender.

Another way is to sell the vehicle and bring cash to the deal (I assume he is upside down - owes more than it is worth).

Your options are very limited. You are 100% responsible for this loan (as well as your brother). Look for the words: "jointly and severally" in the loan documents. It means you both together and/or each of you separately are 100% responsible for the repayment of this loan. It is in all co-signed loans so it is nothing unusual but it is harsh. If he gets a repo, so do you. So: protect yourself now before that happens.

+1

try to keep up with the payments immediately. once you do, call the lender and ask them if they can cut you some slack and remove the late notations. Some banks will do it just to "encourage" people to pay back what they owe rather than to deal with a default.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 5
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the information FicoFam. They are now working with him to get him back on track thank goodness! I will never do this again. :/ Smiley Happy

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 4 of 5
Justine_Alpha
Valued Member

Its not that you should NEVER cosign, for some people (even on these boards) its the only way out of a bad situation to have someone cosign for them. Just gotta understand the responsibility of it and make sure the other person does too. Be annoying about the loan to the person you cosigned for.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.