Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signer for auto loan??

tag
bflem55
Valued Member

Co-signer for auto loan??

This is where I'm sitting right now ex score 582 1 past motorcycle loan and vehicle loan both paid in full never missed a payment. 1 open secured credit card with 14 percent being used. I do have 3 paid charge offs and that's my story. I would like to get a 10,000 dollar or so vehicle. I can get my aunt to cosign she has a perfect history and a score of 750. Any idea what type of loan I could get apr wise? Also do I have any chance of being approved ?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Co-signer for auto loan??

I would suggest maybe a used small sedan, trucks and SUVs are more expensive to maintain over time. The ford, hyundai, and chevy products have been holding their own in the small car market. I am very attracted to the little ford fiesta, even though I make over a 100k per yr, I think the fiesta is nice.

Obviously you can get what you want, but that's my suggestion! Also, i would try to go solo on the loan, simply because if somethig unexpected happens, the damage to you and your aunts relationship will cost more than the 1k you may have saved in interest. again just my opinion based on the fact that ive been a burned co signer in the past. Also, what kind of income are we talking about?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@webhopper wrote:
I would suggest maybe a used small sedan, trucks and SUVs are more expensive to maintain over time. The ford, hyundai, and chevy products have been holding their own in the small car market. I am very attracted to the little ford fiesta, even though I make over a 100k per yr, I think the fiesta is nice.

Obviously you can get what you want, but that's my suggestion! Also, i would try to go solo on the loan, simply because if somethig unexpected happens, the damage to you and your aunts relationship will cost more than the 1k you may have saved in interest. again just my opinion based on the fact that ive been a burned co signer in the past. Also, what kind of income are we talking about?

+1.   Just look around at this forum, there are so many people that have issues with co~signing.   I would also advise trying to do the loan on your own, maybe lower your car budget a bit, look around, I'm sure that you will find something...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I'm all about fuel economy and you're right the fiesta is a neat car 4 cylinder i believe.

Even the focus is nice.

Message 4 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I like the looks of the focus, fusion, fiesta, all are great!  I love cars, its my weakness.... that being said, I'm not in the market for a car until my daughter starts driving, which is in about 5 yrs. By that time, she'll drive my 2008 Volvo S40, which she helped me pick out 3 yrs ago, and mama will get a new toy Smiley Happy And the good part about that is that she loves that little red car as much as I do, so she'll be proud to drive it.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

@bflem55 wrote:
This is where I'm sitting right now ex score 582 1 past motorcycle loan and vehicle loan both paid in full never missed a payment. 1 open secured credit card with 14 percent being used. I do have 3 paid charge offs and that's my story. I would like to get a 10,000 dollar or so vehicle. I can get my aunt to cosign she has a perfect history and a score of 750. Any idea what type of loan I could get apr wise? Also do I have any chance of being approved ?

You might think about trying without the Co-Signer.  Your auto-enhanced score might be better than your FICO.  And forget what those other peeps said...  Get a used Grand Cherokee Ltd with a Hemi like me.  It's worth the extra gas.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bflem55 wrote:

I had worse credit score than you when I first started with my first car loan. You have to research online for car loan for people with bad credit. I never wanted anyone to co-sign with me because I didn't want to mess up their credit if I can't pay someday. So I researched auto loan for bad credit and after a bunch of rejections, Chrysler Financial was the only one that was able to help me and with them I started rebuilding my credit! Only if they were still in business Smiley Frustrated but I'm sure there are others out there that can also help you. Now my credit is excellent and never had to co-sign with anyone. 

Message 7 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

@bflem55 wrote:

You might think about trying without the Co-Signer.  Your auto-enhanced score might be better than your FICO.  And forget what those other peeps said...  Get a used Grand Cherokee Ltd with a Hemi like me.  It's worth the extra gas.

+1

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.