Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signing, no credit, options?

tag
northface28
Established Contributor

Co-signing, no credit, options?

My mom wanted to get a new car but doesn't have a score generated. She asked me to co-sign, of course that was a hard no.

What I was wondering if I made her an AU on some of my cards would that be enough to generate a score?
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
3 REPLIES 3
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Co-signing, no credit, options?

It will generate a score, but she'll still be limited on financing options. Unfortunately, I've seen time and time again where it's harder for a "ghost" credit score to get a loan than someone with terrible credit. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@northface28 wrote:
My mom wanted to get a new car but doesn't have a score generated. She asked me to co-sign, of course that was a hard no.

What I was wondering if I made her an AU on some of my cards would that be enough to generate a score?

That will be enough and will help her out.  There are some deslerships that will give her a loan so definately do that to boost her up.

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

That will be enough and will help her out.  There are some deslerships that will give her a loan so definately do that to boost her up.

Once she is AU on one or two of your cc's - have her get her own then apply for a vehicle loan.  You are smart to turn down the co--sign.  It isn't a good idea to co-sign for anyone IME. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.