Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signing on lease agreement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-signing on lease agreement

I have recently helped a loved one by co-signing on a lease agreement for a vehicle they wanted to get. Their credit wasn't so great, so me co-signing with "Tier 2" credit helped them get a better deal with less money down.

How does it affect my credit compared to if I were leasing a car on my own? I obviously understand the implications of it affecting my credit but does it affect it less since I'm co-signer as opposed to the main borrower?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Co-signing on lease agreement

No.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently helped a loved one by co-signing on a lease agreement for a vehicle they wanted to get. Their credit wasn't so great, so me co-signing with "Tier 2" credit helped them get a better deal with less money down.

How does it affect my credit compared to if I were leasing a car on my own? I obviously understand the implications of it affecting my credit but does it affect it less since I'm co-signer as opposed to the main borrower?

It affects your credit like you were the primary borrower.  So for example, if there is a late payment, it will affect your credit as if you defaulted on your own.

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Thank you Yes-Its-Me, I was a little brief on my answer Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Even one 30 day late can really hurt even solid credit. I know with Chase (Chase is the Subaru captive finance) my payment is due on the 12th. I set up my automatic payments for the 7th. That way the payment always arrives before it is due and gives me a cushion of time if something got screwed up in the process.

You may want to consider a similar deal to ensure the lease is being paid on time.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the person your co signing for open a new checking account and give u access to it so u can make sure money is being transfer to pay car note

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.