Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coach me up - Test driving a Camry

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Coach me up - Test driving a Camry

I am test driving a Camry in the morning and have $30K preapproved from PenFed @ 2.24% but know that Toyota Financial is running a 0% for 60mths deal running.  

Do I tell the sales dude I have cash and negotiate from that position and once we have final price ask to go for the 0% offer?

I used TrueCar to get the pricing expectations going and they have a couple matches for me to see.  

Let me know your thoughts. 

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

Re: Coach me up - Test driving a Camry

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@I am test driving a Camry in the morning and have $30K preapproved from PenFed @ 2.24% but know that Toyota Financial is running a 0% for 60mths deal running.  

Do I tell the sales dude I have cash and negotiate from that position and once we have final price ask to go for the 0% offer?

I used TrueCar to get the pricing expectations going and they have a couple matches for me to see.  

Let me know your thoughts. 

Hey Barry,

First negotiate the price you want. I personally look at KBB and Edmunds and True are. I would check those sites and see what the average price is for the car you want. I have seen cases where the going rate is below not only the MSRP but also the the invoice price. Once you done that and only when you done that do you talk financing. Tell them, if you like to trade in a car and also that you will have cash in hand(will bum them out). So once you crushed their will ask about the zero financing. Then if you are still interested let them run One Report for it. Even at 0 Apr they make money. Remember it is Zero APR not zero interest Smiley Happy

fee

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you used truecar, why didn't you get a certificate for the exact car at the dealerhsip, then nothing to talk about.

The 0% will be easy to get.

What do you mean 0% is not zero interest fee?!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

If you used truecar, why didn't you get a certificate for the exact car at the dealerhsip, then nothing to talk about.

Maybe bc the truecar price could be negotiated lower by speaking with someone at the actual dealership? I'm merely guessing. Seems like if a website can come up with a figure then you might have a chance to get it cheaper by speaking up and not taking whats listed on the screen. But thats my skepticism talking. I think dealerships in general are screwing people up, down & sideways so I'd like to get the best price possible Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 8
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Maybe bc the truecar price could be negotiated lower by speaking with someone at the actual dealership? I'm merely guessing. Seems like if a website can come up with a figure then you might have a chance to get it cheaper by speaking up and not taking whats listed on the screen. But thats my skepticism talking. I think dealerships in general are screwing people up, down & sideways so I'd like to get the best price possible Smiley LOL

Deal done... yes I had TrueCar certs but ended up getting the XLE version with few more options.  Still ran it thru TrueCar and a nearby dealer was $1K lower than the one I was at and was matched.  Smiley Happy Then asked for cash price vs. Toyota incentives and financing options.  Turns out the 0% and 500 dealer  cash was in the end a bit cheaper overall vs. PenFed.  I will post the details later.  

Oh and they promised the car we picked in TrueCar had door exterior bump guards but it didn't so they threw that in.  Not a biggie was nice touch though. ($250 bucks)

Thanks for the feedback and the DW is pleased.  

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 5 of 8
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

They bake the profit into the price Smiley Happy
fee

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FeeBear wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

They bake the profit into the price Smiley Happy
fee

that's why I trucar the price.

Message 7 of 8
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Deal done... yes I had TrueCar certs but ended up getting the XLE version with few more options.  Still ran it thru TrueCar and a nearby dealer was $1K lower than the one I was at and was matched.  Smiley Happy Then asked for cash price vs. Toyota incentives and financing options.  Turns out the 0% and 500 dealer  cash was in the end a bit cheaper overall vs. PenFed.  I will post the details later.  

Oh and they promised the car we picked in TrueCar had door exterior bump guards but it didn't so they threw that in.  Not a biggie was nice touch though. ($250 bucks)

Thanks for the feedback and the DW is pleased.  

Congrats on your purchase!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.