Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cons of leasing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cons of leasing?

A little background. I've got a car loan now on a 2012 Jeep Patriot that is less than ideal. I got it when I first started rebuilding, and had to settle for 18.99%. Now I'm to the point where I need to make a change. I should have sooner, I will admit, but was caught up in trying to get my score up before refinancing, then went through the home buying process.

The reason I say 'need' to make a change is simply because 18.99% is unreasonable with my current credit profile. My scores have finally hit the low 700's, I've got a good profile of revolving cards with only about 18% utilization (and decreasing rapidly) and a decent DTI. Additionally, this car has aged to the point that I am going to have to start throwing money into repairs, and still have 24 months left on the note, and because of the interest rate, I'm upside down on it.

So, long story short. I've been looking into leasing. I work from home, so I don't put more than 2-4k miles on a car. I'm big on woodworking and home renovation, so I'm leaning toward a truck (I’ve beat the snot out of the interior of my car from moving stuff around, and remember the ease when I had a truck before). Theres a dealership around me that's got a pretty nice deal on a 24 mo lease for $199 which is about $150 less a month than what I'm paying right now. Additionally, I'm indecisive and not completely sold on any particular brand. Part of me likes the idea of a 24 month "test drive".

On the financing side, if I were to buy a used truck and roll in my negative equity, I’d be looking at an increase in my monthly payment. I like the idea of keeping it low, though my finances are not streatched thin by any means. I just like to keep recurring payments low.

So, longer story short, what cons am I over looking with a lease? I understand that I lose the option of equity. But that’s not a huge issue in my eyes. Am I missing anything? Or does anyone have an opinions about leasing, positive or negative, that they’d like to share? I’ve never leased, so it’s a whole new process for me.

I will mention we just bought my wife’s car from the same dealership about six months ago, so I know it’s a good dealership based on that experience.

Thanks in advanced, folks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cons of leasing?

wrote:
A little background. I've got a car loan now on a 2012 Jeep Patriot that is less than ideal. I got it when I first started rebuilding, and had to settle for 18.99%. Now I'm to the point where I need to make a change. I should have sooner, I will admit, but was caught up in trying to get my score up before refinancing, then went through the home buying process.

The reason I say 'need' to make a change is simply because 18.99% is unreasonable with my current credit profile. My scores have finally hit the low 700's, I've got a good profile of revolving cards with only about 18% utilization (and decreasing rapidly) and a decent DTI. Additionally, this car has aged to the point that I am going to have to start throwing money into repairs, and still have 24 months left on the note, and because of the interest rate, I'm upside down on it.

So, long story short. I've been looking into leasing. I work from home, so I don't put more than 2-4k miles on a car. I'm big on woodworking and home renovation, so I'm leaning toward a truck (I’ve beat the snot out of the interior of my car from moving stuff around, and remember the ease when I had a truck before). Theres a dealership around me that's got a pretty nice deal on a 24 mo lease for $199 which is about $150 less a month than what I'm paying right now. Additionally, I'm indecisive and not completely sold on any particular brand. Part of me likes the idea of a 24 month "test drive".

On the financing side, if I were to buy a used truck and roll in my negative equity, I’d be looking at an increase in my monthly payment. I like the idea of keeping it low, though my finances are not streatched thin by any means. I just like to keep recurring payments low.

So, longer story short, what cons am I over looking with a lease? I understand that I lose the option of equity. But that’s not a huge issue in my eyes. Am I missing anything? Or does anyone have an opinions about leasing, positive or negative, that they’d like to share? I’ve never leased, so it’s a whole new process for me.

I will mention we just bought my wife’s car from the same dealership about six months ago, so I know it’s a good dealership based on that experience.

Thanks in advanced, folks!

I feel like the advertised $199/month leases are unicorns that about nobody ends up with.

Mileage tends to be the biggest concern with leases, as overages cost big bucks. They will also charge you for every imperfection in the vehicle when you turn it in.

I'm curious why when driving so little, you're going to need to start "throwing money into repairs" on a 6 year old vehicle. A lot of folks that say this just don't seem to have the patience for any maintenance/repairs. It literally saves a fortune. The way I see it, you either do some maintenance and repairs every once in a while OR keep paying payments/interest and staying in the negative equity trap.

Case in point . . I put about $1300 into my 10 year old car in December 2016. If I think of that as a payment, I have been paying less than $100/month and this average only goes down each month until I need to put money in to it next. Similar to you, I go through phases where I barely drive at all. We are perfect candidates to pay off cars and have them last us YEARS with no payments.

Whatever you decide to do, don't roll over the negative equity. Throw some extra money at your current loan and refinance it (short term) and you could get it paid off and be payment free for 5 years. At the very least, if you MUST buy a new car, get to a point where you're not going into it underwater.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leasing is very good if you know what you are getting into.  I don't drive alot and used to lease directly from brokers but now do it a different way.  As the poster above me stated, the figures the dealers advertise is not what you actually get.  That is just to entice you to get you through the door and if you don't know how to negotiate, you actually do end up paying more.

I still lease but I now mainly do a lease takeover. The reason I do this is;

A] Don't put money down (I advice not to put money down especially for a lease)

B] You can get a lower payment than the acual monthly payment stated.  How? Most people looking to get out of a lease are often desperate and just want out because of a change in lifestyle.  To have you take the car off their hands, they are willing to make deals and pay a few months of the car payment upfront as an incentive for you to take the car over.

C) You can have someone again takeover the car(the one you have taken over) with 9 month left on the lease or more so that you don't have to turn it into the dealer and pay the disposition fee and many many more.

Leasing is extremely beneficial if you you know the ins and outs.  To answe your question on cons, you don't build any equity and have to find a new car every few years.  If you don't like the hassle of car shopping, then leasing is probably not your cup of tea.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

i personally feel like leasing is the best thing i ever did.. my car died on the highway and i HAD to get something.. my aunt cosigned my first lease and it raised my credit score 100 points.. now im onto my second lease which i did myself and i was able to upgrade 1 year early(honda does 3 year leases).. i dont have to worry about anything but the oil changes. im the type of person that cannot deal with car problems and i would rather pay a car payment till i died than worry about any type of car trouble. but thats just me i know most people dont feel that way.

the only downside i can see is of course the mileage restrictions but you already said you dont drive far- which i also dont, 10 miles round trip to work.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.