cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I buy a car here in PA with no drivers license?

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

I am currently 24 & I do not have my drivers license yet (long story) and I would like to know if I could buy a car even though I have no license, and just add my parents to the title so they can drive it and I just pay for everything for it?

Is this possible and can i still get a car loan without having a license also?

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Could I buy a car here in PA with no drivers license?

Do you have some kind of government issued ID? If so, you should be able to buy a car in most states I know of.

Also if you add your parents to the title, they'll have to be on the loan too. You really only need one parent on the loan and title, no need to drag 2 in imo.

This shouldn't be a big issue. But I'd recommend that your parent be the primary and you be the second applicant on the loan. That way there'll be even fewer issues. Also you really ought to get a license. Keep in mind when insuring the car, you'll have to have you on the insurance if you are on the title. Because you have no license, the price could be quite high.

Nothing stops you from making payments on the car that is only in your parent's name by the way...so they could buy it solely in their name and you make payments, nobody cares really.

What distro(s) of linux do you use haha? I'm a debian fan lol.

Message 2 of 4
linux007969
Established Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

Do you have some kind of government issued ID? If so, you should be able to buy a car in most states I know of.

Also if you add your parents to the title, they'll have to be on the loan too. You really only need one parent on the loan and title, no need to drag 2 in imo.

This shouldn't be a big issue. But I'd recommend that your parent be the primary and you be the second applicant on the loan. That way there'll be even fewer issues. Also you really ought to get a license. Keep in mind when insuring the car, you'll have to have you on the insurance if you are on the title. Because you have no license, the price could be quite high.

Nothing stops you from making payments on the car that is only in your parent's name by the way...so they could buy it solely in their name and you make payments, nobody cares really.

What distro(s) of linux do you use haha? I'm a debian fan lol.

Yes I have a state id

I would like to have the loan in my name cuz i have much better credit than my dad.  I would need both parents on title as I would let both drive it, so I would need both on title so they don't get arrested if they ever get pulled over for something (not likely but I want to be prepaired anyway)

As to the linux question...... I have used Debian as my first distro but I currently load Ubuntu (debian based) on computers at work when we give them out to be sent to third world countries cuz exporting United States licensed Windows is not legal so to save the hassle Linux is loaded.  I personally currently use Windows 7.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 3 of 4
Remember0
Valued Contributor

You don't need to be on the title of a car to legally drive it haha. No need to worry there. You just have to be on the insurance for the car. But sure, if they're both driving, it can't hurt  suppose to have everyone on the title.

If your credit is better then yeah you should try to be primary. I will caution though I'm not sure if the interest savings is worth the insurance increase. I'd definitely look into that too with your insurance agent.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.