cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I get 0% APR with Volkswagen Credit? (Yes!)

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Could I get 0% APR with Volkswagen Credit? (Yes!)

I currently have an auto loan with Volkswagen Credit at 3.74% that I've had for 21 months. I've never missed a payment, and lately have been making larger payments than required. I've been thinking about a new car due to an increase in family size and just noticed that VW are offering 0% financing on their 2014 models to clear them. I had 2 auto loans prior to the current VW one, and I've never missed a single payment on any of them, so my auto-enhanced fico should be higher than my regular TU score which is 712. Credit card utilization is at 5%. I owe slightly less on the loan than the current trade in value, so if I could do a straight swap for a new car and get 0% I think I'd go for it. I'm just wondering if anybody knows how difficult it is to get the 0% tier from VW?

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Could I get 0% APR with Volkswagen Credit?

If they won't give a 3 x returning customer the 0% you need to find a different car to buy! that's a slam dunk... is it the 0% for 72 months? they have been offering that off and on on different models for a while now.

Message 2 of 21
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Oh, the first two loans weren't with VW, different lenders. Yes, 0% for 72 months on a new Touareg. I'd be thrilled to not pay a single cent of interest and borrow money for completely free. I'm just having a hard time spending so much on a car. I can afford it, and have a good job, but still very frugal. Some of the Touaregs they're selling at the moment have over $7k off MSRP, due to the 2015 model arriving soon and being a newer shape I guess. But $7k off a new VW with 72 months 0% does seem like a genuinely enticing deal, as you don't seem to normally get much off VWs.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 3 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

Oh, the first two loans weren't with VW, different lenders. Yes, 0% for 72 months on a new Touareg. I'd be thrilled to not pay a single cent of interest and borrow money for completely free. I'm just having a hard time spending so much on a car. I can afford it, and have a good job, but still very frugal. Some of the Touaregs they're selling at the moment have over $7k off MSRP, due to the 2015 model arriving soon and being a newer shape I guess. But $7k off a new VW with 72 months 0% does seem like a genuinely enticing deal, as you don't seem to normally get much off VWs.

I don't know I looked a Jetta Hybrid earlier this year that had 0% for 72 months and the car was priced at almost $33k and she knocked it down to $27k before I even came to dealership... I say if you can get what you need to on your trade and move from 3-4% to 0% then it may just make sense!

Message 4 of 21
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

I believe they have small print stating that discounted price and promo APR can not be combined.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 5 of 21
CreditJim
Established Contributor

They do, grassfeeder. I'm just trying to find what the sweet spot is, and find out exactly how motivated they are.

Message 6 of 21
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

They do, grassfeeder. I'm just trying to find what the sweet spot is, and find out exactly how motivated they are.

for the hell of it I inquired at my local dealer.  No APR special - $6k off MSRP.  $3K off MSRP with APR special.  Still not a bad deal at all given you hardly ever get Euro's at that much off MSRP.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 7 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@grassfeeder wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

for the hell of it I inquired at my local dealer.  No APR special - $6k off MSRP.  $3K off MSRP with APR special.  Still not a bad deal at all given you hardly ever get Euro's at that much off MSRP.

but if you could get a 2-3% from your credit union than the $6k might be better if you don't use the full 72 months to pay... weight it out

Message 8 of 21
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I'm getting the same info grassfeeder, basically still a good chunk off of the MSRP but it's either the 0% 72 months or an extra $3k off. I've done all the math and it seems that with the 2.9% rate I'm pre-approved from my credit union with, I'd still save a small amount of money by paying an extra $3k for the car and getting 0%. However, if VW could give me the extra $3k off AND a lower rate than the CU, like 1.9%, then that'd probably work out better.

Message 9 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

I'm getting the same info grassfeeder, basically still a good chunk off of the MSRP but it's either the 0% 72 months or an extra $3k off. I've done all the math and it seems that with the 2.9% rate I'm pre-approved from my credit union with, I'd still save a small amount of money by paying an extra $3k for the car and getting 0%. However, if VW could give me the extra $3k off AND a lower rate than the CU, like 1.9%, then that'd probably work out better.

sounds like you have the plan for buying the car... go get it!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.