cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I get Approved for a Lease or Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could I get Approved for a Lease or Loan?

Here is the deal, I am currently 23 yrs old and I recently graduated from school in May of 2012. I been emplyed since june with a 70K anual salary.

Around july i tried to get a used car, my 1998 clunker is on his last leg, it was a 26K vehicle; however I couldnt get approved since my credit history is limited, besides student loans opened in 2008, my oldest credit card is from early 2009. Soon after I checked my score and it was around a 530 aparently i had a collections due to a medical bill and a 90% ratio on my cards.

After some months of fixing my credit, i got rid of the collection and brough down my revolving debt, increasing my score to a current 670. Around thanksgiving I tried to get a lease thru mercedes, 1000K down 400 a month. I filled the application but I got rejected.

Since then I haven't appied for another loan or lease, I am waiting on my tax refund for a down payment, I can probably put down 5K. 

What do you guys think, do you think banks like wells fargo or credit unions would be more flexible for a 25-27k loan, or has anyone tried the college graduate program than some car companies offer for a lease or finance?

Or should I get my score to the 700 before applying anywhere else. Thanks 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Could I get Approved for a Lease or Loan?

You can get financed but since you have never had a auto loan, your going to probably pay slightly higher interest as your auto enhanced score will likely be lower.

Leases typically require a score of at least 700 and some good auto payment history. I would look to finance your first car and then try for a lease on your second car.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You also need to get your utilization down to at least 30%. 10% is preferable. High utility can cause instant denial for both leasing and financing.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 6
hendersj31
Valued Member

Good points from the other poster here but you may want to ask a loacl credit union.  I use a coupel in Texas and they are veru easy to deal with and only look at my credit score for an approval.  They care nothing about past car loans...  In fact until recently I never had a car loan and was approved for 1.99% up to 50k.  

of course your results may vary, and i have been a member with my CU for years, but a friend of mine who was not a member wanted to get the 1.99% and all they made him do was open a checking account with $5.00 to join and he was approved.  The credit score requirement for the 1.99 was a promo at the time and they wanyted a 680 score, normally it is 700 maybe 720.  They also give reasonable rates to lower credit scores.  I would call a credit union and ask what the requirements are.  If you feel you meet them go and apply. 

Message 4 of 6
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Hi, 

just wanted to leave my two cents from personal experience. 

I also tried to lease a Mercedes c250 in July. I was not approved with a down payment 4000 and an auto  enhanced credit score of 786 and no previous baddies or anything. Mainly it was my income, around 35000 that hurt me and my young age, I was 19.

i ultimately got approved for a lease through audi financial for a 2013 a4 with a down payment of 2500 haha! 

So just don't give up. Always keep your head up high and have backup plans 

the guys at Mercedes told me that mercedes financial services is weary of people with a short credit history....especially on a lease. you should also expect to put down a lot more if your score isn't at least 700 and you don't have previous auto loan history. 

I don't have any experience with financing an auto loan, but I'm sure things will work out for you. Good luck! 

Sorry if this was all useless to you Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I have heard Audi and BMW are more lenient on age and credit so try them if you are young with limited credit looking to buy a luxury vehicle. Mercedes and Acura are not as lenient. Acura is really tough on their leasing and financing requirements. They are looking for 700+ and folks in their thirties unless you are a recent grad with excellent credit and high income. I finally got my first lease on a Acura in Nov. But when I showed up when I was 24 looking to finance a car, they didn't even run my credit! I was almost laughed off their lot...no kidding! I know I gave those dealers something to talk about for the rest of the day. I didn't try again for almost 10 years and I was very apprehensive about the whole process and was in complete shock when they approved me.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.