cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Experience at 2 Ford Dealerships

tag
cottage

Credit Experience at 2 Ford Dealerships

Last month I financed a 2012 Ford Focus. Ultimately,  I received 2.5% from a regional bank through the 2nd dealership.  Both dealerships also told me that I was approved by Ford for an interest rate of 4.5%.  Of course, I opted to financed throught the regional bank at the 2.5% rate.  But here's what has me puzzled:  After both Ford dealerships supposedly ran my credit  and told me that Ford had approved me at 4.5%,  However, I receieved the standard letter from Ford several weeks later explaining why I was denied!  How is it possible for the dealerships to tell me I was approved and then to get that letter?

Also, the salesman at the first dealership, who has been selling Fords for over 30 years, told me that he has never heard of auto enhanced scoring. Does that sound probable?  

Just really curious about these two things and would be interested to know what others thought.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Experience at 2 Ford Dealerships

Very probable salesman doesn't know about FICO Auto Enhanced score for the simple reason that sales and financing are kept separate, that's why you are handed off to the Finance person once you strike the deal with the salesperson.  The salesperson isn't really concerned on how you finance the car and the finance person doesn't care what your deal price was, all they are concerned with is doing their job......selling and financing.

Message 2 of 5
cottage

It still seems odd to me that after 30 years in sales, he would never had heard of auto enhanced scores.  I'm even more curious about why both dealerships told me I had been approved at 4.5 for Ford Credit and then I received a letter from Ford saying that they regret they could not finance me.  In the end, it doesn't matter because I got 2.5% from the bank.  But it sure seems odd to me!

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I got a rejection letter from another credit union even though they told me YES.  This was after I got my 4.5% and I was too lazy to re-do it to 3.9.  I know that's stupid but it just seemed like too much of a hassle.  so I don't think it's that odd to get a rejection letter.  Mine had my EX scores.  That was the best thing about the letter!  Interestinly the score they used was 685 or something close to that, when the auto-enhanced EX was 714!  What a difference!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
emoticon
Valued Member

That can happen because the letter from Ford was automatically sent after a computer-generated rejection of your application.  The dealership works with the Ford finance people to override the denial.  You just never saw that behind-the-scenes step.  That happened to me with Honda a couple of years ago.

*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.