cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit in the 500s auto loan

tag

Credit in the 500s auto loan

I have credit in the mid 500s as stated in the title. I'm looking to get an auto loan soon my pre-tax income monthly is 2800 I have a secured line of credit with no balance. I've had the account for 4 months with no late or missed payments. I also have an installment loan that will be paid off in 2 months and I have it for 4 months with no negative activity. I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 model year vehicle with 6000 down the vehicle purchase price is 21000. I was unemployed for about 6 months in 2012 and had my car repossessed but was paid off within 2 weeks of being repossessed. Will I get approved? Any advice for my current situation. Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Re: Credit in the 500s auto loan

I wouldn't be surprised if you did. I have scores worse than yours with non-paid items and was able to get approvals....if I had enough cash. 6000 down should get you a decent approval. Probably higher interest than you want ....but I don't see a reason why you would be denied.

Message 2 of 10

I also have non paid from my time of unemployment. Do you think that will affect my chances?
Message 3 of 10

Non paid accounts from cell phone, cable company, and phone company***
Message 4 of 10
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure the 6000 down will save you. Cash is king with these guys. Funny thing is I'm actually scared to fill out an app for a new vehicle now with my scores...even with Roadloans...because I don't have much to put down. Anyways, I think you'll be able to get a loan, but like I said....probably at a higher rate than you want.

Message 5 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

With 6k down, absolutely. Try to start by applying to CapitalOne or perhaps Roadloans to see what they give you. If you don't mind the INQs, maybe try LendingTree (but LendingTree will give you a lot of INQs so maybe try them JUST after the dealer gets you approved...tell him you need 2 hours and will be right back lol).

After CapOne and Roadloans go to the dealer and see what they can offer you imo. Make sure you mention the 6k dp before the dealer runs your credit. Have I mentioned already you NEED to mention the 6k dp prominently before the dealer runs your credit and make sure the finance manager knows!

Message 6 of 10

Luckily things have changed for me but 10 months ago, I had a score of 548, with a couple baddies and a tax lien on my credit. I put $2K down and got approved with Westlake Financial for $6K loan on a used car. You will be paying high interest but unfortunately that comes with having a low credit score. The good news is Westlake Financial will approve almost anyone for a car loan. Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 10

I also want to add, after 10 months of on time payments, my score has went up over 100 points. I was able to get all negatives removed including vacating the tax lien. Now I am looking to refinance the loan at a lower interest rate since my score has drastically improved. At the time, I had no choice but to settle for a sub-prime lender. When you need a car and you have a low score, you will take whatever type of loan you can get and be greatful for it. I know, I have been there, the good news is over time, with on time payment history, your scores will improve and you can refinance at a lower interest rate. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet to get started.
Message 8 of 10
vertekal
Regular Contributor

My FICO was around 540 or so, my g/f was around the same, and we both got approved (co-signing on each other's loans). She has no real credit history, and mine had a prior repo and the balance of a car loan where the car was totalled and insurance paid their portion (I didn't pay mine). She got $22K thru Exeter at 16.5% with $1500 down, and I got $15K thru CIG Financial at 19.99% with $3000 down. My credit has a foreclosure from 2008, and a bunch of unpaid cable bills (I moved around a lot after getting divorced) over the past 5 or so years. So with a decent deposit and a high interest rate, you can probably be approved. I've paid both cars on time over the past 8 months ($490 for hers and $400 for mine) and I don't believe my FICO score has improved at all. 

FICO 8:
EQ: 1/2018: 494 | 4/2021: 652 (+158)
TU: 1/2018: 536 | 4/2021: 657 (+121)
EX: 1/2018: 499 | 4/2021: 641 (+142)

Mortgage Scores:
EQ: 9/2020: 560 | 4/2021: 648 (+88)
TU: 9/2020: 564 | 4/2021: 649 (+85)
EX: 9/2020: 576 | 4/2021: 672 (+96)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for a 2015 suburban. 6.9 interest rate. 594 score. Just depends on the dealership
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.