Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Approval Question, Please Advise...

tag
bugkiller

DCU Approval Question, Please Advise...

Good Morning to all!

This past week, we got pre approved with DCU for an auto loan.  We asked for 13,000 and they approved us for 13,000.  I failed to ask them what car shopping parameters we need to work with?  For example, what's the "oldest" model year they will approve?  What's the maximum number of miles the car can have?  It's Saturday morning, and I know they are closed until Monday.  We wanted to do a little car shopping, but since I failed to ask these questions, and the csr didn't mention any,  I don't know what criteria I should be shopping for.  Does anyone have any experience with DCU used car parameters?  I know every lending institution has different criteria.  Please help!  Any prior experience with DCU used car loans would be most helpful! 

Thanks in Advance!  :-)

Starting Score: 480
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
nmac
Regular Contributor

Re: DCU Approval Question, Please Advise...

@bugkiller wrote:

Good Morning to all!

This past week, we got pre approved with DCU for an auto loan.  We asked for 13,000 and they approved us for 13,000.  I failed to ask them what car shopping parameters we need to work with?  For example, what's the "oldest" model year they will approve?  What's the maximum number of miles the car can have?  It's Saturday morning, and I know they are closed until Monday.  We wanted to do a little car shopping, but since I failed to ask these questions, and the csr didn't mention any,  I don't know what criteria I should be shopping for.  Does anyone have any experience with DCU used car parameters?  I know every lending institution has different criteria.  Please help!  Any prior experience with DCU used car loans would be most helpful! 

Thanks in Advance!  :-)

I don't know about the max number of miles but I read that they require all financed vehicles to be less than 12 years old during the entire duration of the loan. So the oldest car you could finance with a 3 year loan would be a 2005. 4 Year loan would require 2006 or newer. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 2 of 3
beachdudede
Valued Member

Re: DCU Approval Question, Please Advise...

We were approved two weeks ago by DCU and bought our car last week. I don't remember being given parameters. We shopped online rather than go dealer-hopping and after a month-long search, stumbled onto a 2012 Kia Soul with only 7,850 miles for $13,990 at a dealer 2.5 hours away. The car is practically brand new. When we called the loan department and said we found the car we wanted, they established our membership over the phone for us. We were able to buy the car that day. So I'd say shop on the web this weekend and make a list of the cars you're really interested in and call DCU Monday so you're ready to go if you find a car you want.

Current: FICO Equifax 662, Experian 659, TransUnion 671
Capital One CC: $500, 5% util
Short-term goal: Move out of sub-prime
Long-term goal: improve score to allow me to buy the home I'm renting
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.